question

hydrogen avatar image
hydrogen asked

Multiplus vs Multiplus II vs Quattro - Product Longevity

I am new to Victron Energy and about to put together a system I intend to eventually expand into one large enough to power an entire home. Therefore, I want my purchase to be an 'investment' toward a product I am able to setup in parallel with additional, matching units.

That said, I want to ensure I am investing into a product line and model (including voltage rating) expected to still be sold two to three years from now.

Between Multiplus, Multiplus II, Quattro or Quattro II, which 'family' line of inverter/chargers should I be investing into?

Thank you

Multiplus-IIMultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargercharger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

To add, the -II range is the latest model range so I would not expect that to be superseded in the near future. The previous range in the aluminium case is still available, so judging the future on that basis, I would expect that you would be able to get the same model to expand in a few years' time.

However, just remember that things are less certain in the world right now, so even the best laid plans could change.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hydrogen avatar image hydrogen commented ·

@WKirby thank you for your response. Is the -II range using a different physical case? You mention the previous range having an aluminum case. Also, have any of the -II units achieved UL certification as of yet? Thank you

0 Likes 0 ·
mrhappy avatar image
mrhappy answered ·

It is my opinion that all of them share the same design intents to "just work" for years and years. That's why they all have five years warranty. I bought my Multiplus-II thinking it might be more fragile than it's predecessor because newer tech and newer design, but lifting the lid off of it I see the simplicity of the construction, lots of discrete components and big transformer & capacitors. That made me happy and confident that Victron have longevity in mind. My unit have run now for 8 months without any problems that I didn't cause myself :) .

I would definitely go with Multiplus-II if you don't need a generator permanently hooked up and ready, and Quattro-II if you do or for any other reason need a second AC-in connection.

However, other people might have other opinions, good luck with your victron journey!

/MrHappy

2 comments
2 |3000

hydrogen avatar image hydrogen commented ·
@MrHappy thank you for your response. By 'lots of discrete components' I gather you are referring to fundamentally basic electronic components as opposed to consolidated functions on silicon? Meaning, its expected to be just as reliable as an older generation, correct?
0 Likes 0 ·
mrhappy avatar image mrhappy hydrogen commented ·
Yes, that is my thinking.
0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

I would also recommend Multiplus-II or Quattro-II.
Quattro-II if you need 2 inputs like genrator and grid.
Multiplus-II if you only need 1 input. Multiplus-II 48/5000/70 230V is the most widely used and support inverter. Can run in multi phase or parallel config.

2 |3000