question

fgs-energie avatar image
fgs-energie asked

Victron & Pylontech

Hello everyone,

could you please confirm that a system with Multiplus 48/5000 and Pylontech US3000C I do not need a SmartShunt in order to read the SOC of the battery pack?
Via CAN the internal Pylontech BMS will send this detail to my Cerbo, right?

Reference: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

Many thanks,

Mike

Pylontechmultiplus ve.bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
jacobjned avatar image
jacobjned answered ·

It is not mandatory to have a SmartShunt in the setup. With the Victron VE.Can cable from your BMS to the Cerbo GX, details of your Pylontech Battery will be displayed which you can see. To name a few, State of Charge, State of Health Lowest Voltage, Highest Voltage, etc. Pylontech's BMS will feed all this data to the Cerbo GX.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fgs-energie avatar image fgs-energie commented ·
Thanks, have a good day!
0 Likes 0 ·
felix-schuchmann avatar image felix-schuchmann commented ·
Is this information only used to display or is it also used to control something automatically?
0 Likes 0 ·
dancrompton avatar image dancrompton felix-schuchmann commented ·
Both. You can also set your BMS as your default battery monitor to externally control your system. I've done this myself as i've found the LynxShunt to be garbage.
1 Like 1 ·
felix-schuchmann avatar image felix-schuchmann dancrompton commented ·

Do you know what exactly is controlled? Does the MPPT change settings on the fly or just adjust the configuration/initial limits?

0 Likes 0 ·
dancrompton avatar image dancrompton felix-schuchmann commented ·
I'm using a Seplos BMS, so can't say with any certainty if it's the same with Pylontech, but imagine it will be. My MPPTs show external control in the Cerbo rather than their current status, Float, absorb etc, but the lights show them going through the different stages. So I'm assuming they are receiving instruction from the BMS.
0 Likes 0 ·
jefffay avatar image jefffay dancrompton commented ·
What on the Lynx Shunt is garbage? Can the Seplos BMS not just be used to provide that information that is inaccurate on the Lynx? I suspect that you're talking about the voltage accuracy....
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron Pylontech battery compatibility guide