question

ako avatar image
ako asked

Bliuetooth

What class of Bluetooth would the Victron IP43 Battery Charger ,im wondering if i would get a signal inside my lounge , the Charger would be in the garage which is approximately 15 meters away and the other side of 2 x 20cm concrete block walls . The WiFi from my Internet router in the lounge is on and of in the garage so i dont know if that helps .

Bluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Probably not. Most of the Victron bluetooth products seem to be short range under the 'up to 10M' specs. Certainly I can't get to my bluetooth Victron products from my lounge, and that's a lot less than 10M.

But it doesn't seem to be documented.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

christern avatar image
christern answered ·

My experience is that the BT signal is quite weak.
In my boat it reaches about 7-8 meters with a glass door and some fibreglass between. Doubt it would reach +15 m with concrete between.

In general BT is weaker than wifi.

(My charger is however not the IP type but a IP 2x. There might be differences.)

aaaa - kev was faster ;)

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Confirmation is good
0 Likes 0 ·
ako avatar image
ako answered ·

Seems a bit misleading when if you have to be close to the unit to read the information , would have expected Bluetooth or WiFi remote monitoring to be something useful but in this instance its looks to be no more than a Gimmick

2 comments
2 |3000

christern avatar image christern commented ·
Well, I’m not an expert (at all) but believe for remote management you could use the GX products.

I have no personal experience of them but that is what I have read here in this forum and on the Victron sites.

Maybe that is your solution (which you didn’t ask about)?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
It's certainly not a gimmick. Works well for me. Increasing the range increases power consumption, many people use the units in applications where self consumption is an issue. . You might be able to find a Bluetooth repeater, similar to the WLAN/WiFi units.
0 Likes 0 ·