question

larrysmith avatar image
larrysmith asked

Setting Amp hours on Quattro for battery bank

On my boat I have a Quattro 12v-5000a/Venus-GX system connected to 6 AGM batteries that are rated at 200Ah each. Currently the Quattro was preset (manufacturer or installers) at 200Ah, but should this be set at the full Ah capacity (1200Ah) or possibly at 50% (600Ah) so that I never go below 50% of actual?

Additionally I have a BMV-712 where I set the Ah to 600 and it seems to give a reasonable estimate of hours left and SOC. BTW the BMV and Quattro/Venus are not currently connected together, my VE.direct cable is in the mail (somewhere).

Hope this isn't too basic of a question, but I could not locate any definitive answer in the manuals, help areas or forums.

Larry

battery chargingVenus GX - VGXbattery capacity
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Set the Quattro up for 1200Ah, the actual size of your battery bank. Aim to never go below 50%. If you do happen to go below 50% then at least you will know how much, ie 40%.
If you set it to 600Ah and you discharge below 0% (600Ah) you'll never know how far beyond 0% you went.
Set your BMV also to 1200Ah. Once your cable arrives then you can set the BMV as the battery monitor for the system in the Venus device.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual