question

h2009 avatar image
h2009 asked

Spec-ing charger, 3 phase, 30-35kw solar, 50kwh batteries, quick charging.

Hello,

I would like to get your help with specifying a system

Ideally we are looking to get a 0 grid import of power situation during the non-peak rates.

Currently we are using 3500kwh a month in electricity and 1600kwh in gas. The longer term plan is to use Sunamps and/or ASHP to replace the boiler (that mainly only does hotwater).

We currently have a 3 phase electric system.

We are looking to create a “powerwall system” which decouples from the grid rather than pulling from the grid like Givenergy power packs do.

I’ve been looking into it and it seems a Victron multiplus II seems like the unit to use to create this system with Pylon batteries.

We will look to install a solar array as well (circa 50-60 panels) all south facing. So we need systems that can communicate with each other and take the load.

I’ve estimated that we will need atleast 30kwh (but most likely 50kwh) battery power to last the day using off-peak tariff but we need to ensure that we can charge up all batteries within a 5-6 hour window.

We have access to plenty of electricians that have installed PV systems but do not do the software side of the installation. Ideally we would like to us our in house programmers to setup the system. Whilst we understand that we wouldn’t have MCS certified setup that is not an issue for us.

Previously we have bad experience with solar companies going bust or having limited support hence why we don’t want to be reliant on them going forward.

Can someone recommend what would be good or a setup able to meet these needs and future needs.

Thank you.

Multiplus-IIMultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargermultiplus in parallel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Designing systems is outside the scope of this community, clearly defined in its terms and conditions.

You will need to find someone you can trust, there are good people listed on the victron how to buy page.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

With a Victron setup, there's no programming, just configuration. It's well documented, but electrical knowledge is needed. Can be done by yourself.

2 |3000

kevin-sharpe avatar image
kevin-sharpe answered ·

In Ireland we have two Fronius Primo 8.2 kW inverters each connected to 24 solar panels mounted on our ESE and WNW roofs of our home. Today was sunny and we produced 62 kWh with 6-7 kW being sustained between 10:00 and 16:00 (see attached photo). We use a 15 kVA Victron Quattro with 16 Pylontech US3000C batteries (56 kWh). We run the system grid connected but with limited import or export (no payments for export in Ireland). I had the Fronius/Panels professionally installed by Energy Freedom but undertook all the Victron/Pylontech work myself. If you have an electronics/electrical background then this is not an overly complex DIY task with a wealth of useful information available on youtube, blogs, this forum, etc. That said, if you can find a good installer then you'll save yourself a bunch of time.

If you're in Ireland, Spain or Poland then I can recommend Energy Freedom (look up their youtube videos);

https://energyfreedom.ie/

screenshot-20220328-201630.png

2 |3000

kevin-sharpe avatar image
kevin-sharpe answered ·

A couple other comments. You'll need to think hard about your winter energy requirements (see our production curve from 2021) and I can recommend Solar Thermal for space heating with energy stored in water (we use 500L thermal store). This is a fraction cost sunamp or battery storage. If you're in the UK look up Eric Hawkins Thermal Stores;

https://www.thermaltricity-int.com/

screenshot-20220103-112026.png

2 |3000