question

Tommy avatar image
Tommy asked

Current flow from PV to unknown device

What does it mean when the little current ants are flowing from the PV charger to the unknown victron device in my vrm dashboard as seen in this screen shot?

Currently I have:
one 190W / 24v panel
Cerbo GX
MTTP 100/30
BMV 712 shunt / monitor
I do NOT have an inverter

Thanks!

Tom

screen-shot-2022-03-17-at-24858-pm.png

VRM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

You get 51W from PV but the BMV measures only 14W into the battery so the system just doesn't know where it is going so it shows that the energy is going to the "inverter"

Do you have any DC loads?
If yes, go to settings -> system-setup -> has DC-system

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

By "DC Loads", Matthias is referring to anything in your system that runs off of battery/solar/charger DC. This could be lights, a 12-volt refrigerator, a fan, or many other devices.

With "Has DC system" turned off, you are telling Cerbo there are no such devices so it has no idea where the mission power is going to. If you do have DC loads (or a charging source), turn this option on and another box will appear on the Cerbo display, remote console and VRM. Any any power not reported by other devices in your system (MPPT, battery or inverter if you had one) is reported in that tile.

2 |3000

Tommy avatar image
Tommy answered ·

Thanks for your reply Matthias. I've seen you on here a lot and your answers are always helpful.

When you say "dc loads" are you referring to that something in my camper might be using up energy from the battery and is bypassing the shunt? Like maybe something is directly wired to the battery? The only thing wired directly to the battery is the Cerbo GX. According to the manual, it's supposed to be wired directly the battery, unless I'm mistaken... and I usually am. ha ha ha

FYI: I have the negative of the 100/30 solar charger OUT, connected to the load side of shunt, and the positive of the solar charger connected directly to the positive battery terminal.

Tom

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The Cerbo manual is rather vague. Negative battery connection to the cerbo should be on the load side of the shunt.

2 |3000

Tommy avatar image
Tommy answered ·

>>>By "DC Loads", Matthias is referring to anything in your system that runs off of battery/solar/charger DC. This could be lights, a 12-volt refrigerator, a fan, or many other devices.

Almost everything in my camper is 12V DC. (Lights, refrigerator). lol. I read the manual but did not understand I was supposed to turn that on. I have turned that on and wired the negative of the Cerbo to the load side of the shunt. Thank you all!

2 |3000