question

leverg avatar image
leverg asked

48v system off grid, solar controller question. (why only pwm ?)

Hi,

I,m looking for a 48v system to build a off grid system in the future. 48v seems to me the easiest as this uses much thinner cables than a 12 or 24v system. However, when browsing for a 48v solar controller I only see pwm controllers and 2 mppt,s but those are quitte expensive. Is there a reason why there aren`t many mppt 48v controllers and so much pwm controllers ?

MPPT Controllers48v batteryBlueSolar PWM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Ther are literally dozens of Victron mppt controllers that are 48v compatable.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

leverg avatar image leverg commented ·

You are right, I did mark 48v only instead of 12-48 volt on stroomwinkel.nl ( dutch firm) So I ended up with this :) https://stroomwinkel.nl/solar/solar-regelaar.html?accu_spanning=1399

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Leverg

All the mppts of the 150v to 450v range will work for 48v system. With the exception of the 100/20 48v model specially made for 48v.

Good mppts are always more expensive purchase but the return on investment with them is worth it in the end.

What amperage do you want to charge at or use? (How much solar are you installing?)

Anything under 150W it makes sense to get PWM.

1 comment
2 |3000

leverg avatar image leverg commented ·
Don`t yet know what amperage. It,s for future use, just putting things together how to build such a system for offgrid use. Already did my boat off grid, but that,s quitte a simple system. Solar panel, mppt, multiplus, cerbo, batteries (AGM), no grid connection. Working perfectly. So now thinking about getting my house off grid, or at least less dependable for the normal powergrid.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic