question

joli avatar image
joli asked

Dual voltage installation for worldwide operation

Dual voltage installation for worldwide operation:

I want my 110V boat to both run on 110V and 220v (plug it in anywhere). I want my boat to be fine with both 110 and 220v marinas. I have a 14kw LiFePo4 bank. SO this is what I want to do:

110v/12V Quattro 5000 for main installation (fed by shore in US/genset anytime)

220v,/12v Multiplus 3000 for my induction cooktop and a few outlets (fed by second 220V shore plug in Europe). This will be the main charger then in a marina.

Then, get an autotransformer that, via a transfer switch, also powers the 110V quattro.(from the 220V plug). So the Multiplus can charge and the Quattro get 110v to feed thru.

Can I connect botch inverter/chargers to the GX and it will manage charging/discharging? It will only be an issue when I am in Europe at 220V marinas.

Does this make sense?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
gone-sailing avatar image
gone-sailing answered ·

Isn't the best solution 3600 Watt Auto 115/230 V isolation transformer? https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Isolation-Transformers-EN.pdf

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hoeken avatar image hoeken commented ·

Hey Joli,

I've been looking at this topic for quite a while now, and here's my understanding:

First, its not just voltage, its also frequency. US is 110v/60hz, and europe is 220v/50hz. The autotransformer can change voltage, but not frequency. If that is passing through via your Multiplus, then it may cause problems for gear that needs a specific frequency to work properly. Its also heavy and the high output chargers don't seem to integrate well with the GX stuff anyway.

So, there are a few ways to solve this:

1. Get an auto transformer and then a large charger, or use a Multiplus only for charging. Then you use a separate multiplus to just invert and make AC power.

2. Have a 110v/60hz quattro, and a separate 220v/50hz multiplus. Each has its own shore power inlet, charges/runs off the battery and each powers its independent stuff. Your 110v things will be happy and your 220v things will be happy. That is a pretty good sized battery, so you should be perfectly fine using whichever unit to charge depending on where you are in the world. When you are in europe, the 110v stuff will just run off the battery, but since you have a big lithium bank it will be able to buffer out your loads quite well, especially when you consider it will be capable of charging at 3kw 24/7.

If you have the option, I'd maybe bump the 220v to the 5000w version and then you will have zero worries about charging if you have a ton of power hungry things like air conditioners running. It would be much simpler than trying to add an isolation transformer and transfer switch.

0 Likes 0 ·
joli avatar image joli hoeken commented ·
Hi hoeken, thanks for this. Very helpful and it all makes sense to me. I contracted Robin Marine in Les Sables to come up with a design and install it and they came up with exactly your suggestion #2. I am connecting the ACs to Quattro inverted power. Just need to be a bit selective. Might put in a transfer switch to the water heater from the inverter so I get hot water on a sunny day.. I have 1600W solar.
1 Like 1 ·