question

dasrecht avatar image
dasrecht asked

Orion TR vs DC Buck Charger

Hi there

I'm planning to charge a LiFePo3 Battery in my vehicle. So i'll have the vehicle battery and the LiFePo3 separate for lighting and auxiliary devices.

Currently i'm trying to figure out if it would be possible to use an Orion-Tr DC/DC converter or if a DC Buck boost is needed.

But somehow i hit a dead end - Electronically they seem to do the same thing. As the car holds an Euro4 engine i don't think the DC Buck boost would be needed but I'm open for inputs.

I think it's better to have a DC-DC system instead of having a Cyrix-ct because as soon as the cyrix closes the circuit the two batteries will be connected together which I'm trying to avoid because the two batteries will try to level themselves which is a bad idea.

Any insights are very much appreciated :)

Lithium BatteryOrion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kai avatar image
kai answered ·

buck boost is a specific type of DC/DC converter - where the output can be held at a voltage that is either higher (boost) or lower (buck) than the input.

The orion converters can be buck, boost or buck-boost (e.g. 24 -> 12, 12 -> 24, 7-35/12-3) depending on which one you pick.

Pick the converter you need based on your input voltage range, output voltage and isolation requirements.

Not sure what your LiFePo4 bank voltage is intended to be; and also I recall seeing a few threads on DC-DC charging, there's probably more info on one of those threads.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.