question

ksaltman avatar image
ksaltman asked

GX Touch 70 Flashing

I have a Cerbo GX with a GX Touch 70 and every about 5 seconds the screen flashes. What could be causing this?

See video below for a demonstration.

touchscreen
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

10 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Make sure you have the USB lead plugged into the correct usb plug point. the one closest to the center of the cerbo, if you have a hdmi cable extension then plug it in without the HDMI extension cable - check the brightness setting under settings/display

make sure the Cerbos firmware is on 2.84 or higher

otherwise return the screen to who you purchased it from for a replacement

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marioh64 avatar image
marioh64 answered ·

Unter "Anzeige & Sprache" mal die Adaptive Helligkeit ausschalten.

2 |3000

ksaltman avatar image
ksaltman answered ·

I don't have adaptive brightness under display and language. Perhaps I will when I upgrade the firmware to 2.84 or higher. I am on 2.61 at the moment.

Thanks

2 |3000

ksaltman avatar image
ksaltman answered ·

So I've updated the firmware to 2.84 and now I see the adaptive brightness option and confirmed it is off.

Verified the USB cable is plugged into the suggested USB port on the Cerbo GX.

Behavior is still the same. Will be hard to replace the GX Touch 70 as I'm in my RV full-time and kind of need it.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

I think replacing it under warranty is the only option.
Get in touch with the seller from whom you bought it.

You don't need the display for a working system. If you need to see the remote console you can connect to it via LAN, WLAN or the VRM portal.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/accessing-the-gx-device.html

0 Likes 0 ·
leecor avatar image
leecor answered ·

Hi, just installed my new Cerbo and Touch 70 today and got exactly the same issue. About every 5sec and screen flashes. It actually appears to be fading up in brightness for 5sec and then looping back to do it again.

Have you found out a fix or cause at all please? I can’t believe quality gear like Victron has two screen faulty. Got to be some setting or firmware bug?

2 |3000

cf-z avatar image
cf-z answered ·

Just installed my touch 70 and have the exact same issue. I realized that it was not doing it last night when I first powered it on, maybe it had to do with the optic sensor. When covered it does not flicker. I placed a small piece of black vinyl (could use electrical tape) over the optic sensor and it no longer flickers but obviously only runs on the dimmest setting. For me this is better than no fix but still not optimal. Maybe this is firmware resolvable?

If nothing else they could give us a manual brightness setting rather than absolute on/off auto dimming as turning it off sends it to full bright (which seems to cause the flickering).

2 |3000

cf-z avatar image
cf-z answered ·

After further tinkering I was able to find the ability to simply set the brightness without “adaptive brightness” on and it seems to have solved my problem when not set on full bright. Still odd the adaptive mode seems to glitch it out but this is a decent solution.

2 |3000

junkycosmos avatar image
junkycosmos answered ·

I found the same issue when I had my touch 70 plugged into USB extension cable. Tried all ports on CerboGX and still had same issue. Hint was that the unit would not do it at night (when camper was dark) but did it during day. Brightness would ramp up then unit flash off.

Tried a better 'high end' usb extension cable (6 feet), no change

Only solution I found was to use a stronger USB power adapter not plugged into CerboGX but rather to a 12V power outlet.

I bet this unit was not tested with any USB extension on full sunlight when powered from Cerbo GX, likely just draws little too much power with brightness turned up.

So far I am using my 70 touch on 6 foot HDMI cable and "USB phone charger" plug in next to Cerbo.

2 |3000

js2401 avatar image
js2401 answered ·

Have the same problem with new Cerbo GX and Touch 70. The disply only power-cycles when ambient ligh is high. This tells me Cerbo GX USB ports are not designed to handle full display brightness. Either fix the brightness so it doe not tries to go as high or use alternal power source to the display. I'm wondering if maximum USB power on Cerbo GX can be adusted in FW?

Joe

This is setup fixes the power cycling problem but removes adaptive feature. Close to maximum brightness Cerbo GX USB ports can handle.

1668375307765.png

1668375307765.png (50.6 KiB)
2 |3000

jimmyb1 avatar image
jimmyb1 answered ·

For my GX70 it was flashing full bright coming out of sleep.

I tried to on the screen turn off the adaptive brightness then the screen went black.

I then used the VRM app to access the remote screen feature. On it I was able to turn off adaptive brightness and adjust the brightness midway. After I did the GX70 screen came on.

Not sure what is going on.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic