question

tomf avatar image
tomf asked

Batery / Temp. sensor - in VE.Bus Smart Dongle VS Multiplus Compact

I have 3 chargers working separatily:
Smart MPPT device, MultiPlus Compact + Dongle, Smart Orion-tr.
Each of them should to have temp. sensor. So for smart (MPPT and Orion) i bought bluetooth sensor. But also for MultiPlus nad Donge I have separate sensors.

Which one I should to use bought, never mind, or one of them.

BTW. Its stupid that VE.Bus Smart Dongle cant to get temp. using bluetooth/temp sensor.
Same with access to setting via Dongle VS VE.Bus to USB. I do not have exciuse for that except pricing Victron policy.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerTemperature SensorVE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@TomF

Usually with multiple devices you get a GX then it co ordinates everything in the system.

If you dont want to buy a Victron GX then you can make your own one with a Raspberry Pi.

You only really need a temperature sensor if you have lead acid systems that needs temperature compensation in charging. Or do you jave another reason for needing all the devices to have one?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tomf avatar image tomf commented ·

Hi Alexandra,

The main idea is described here: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/117547/safety-parallel-charging-via-multiplus-mppt-and-or.html?childToView=123328#answer-123328

What can I say .... I was looking a cheap solution.

There is a diagram and idea:

slajd3.jpeg

0 Likes 0 ·
slajd3.jpeg (162.0 KiB)
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I think @WKirby answered it well in you first question.

A little background about temperature compensation with AGM cells. When temperature drops, charge voltage is increased. So units will adjust charge voltage up or down as needed if there's temperature compensation. If temperature rises, voltage gets reduced. For an increase temperature, reduction in voltage is very small. Default is -16.2mV/C. So an increase from the standard 25C to a very hot day of 10C means a reduction in charge voltage of 162mV or 0.162V. For winter, the opposite applies.

The Multiplus comes with the necessary sensor.

MPPT doesn't, but effectively it won't be charging in winter, so can be ignored.

The Orion will only be working when the vehicle is running.

So simple, cheap solution: set MPPT and Orion absorption voltages to the low end of the range (e.g. 14.2V) to allow for summer. Set Multiplus correctly. For winter either ignore the slightly too low voltage from the orion, or just increase it slightly if you expect to be using that for most of your winter charging. You don't need the extra cost or overcomplication, what you have already specified is enough.

2 comments
2 |3000

tomf avatar image tomf commented ·
Its true, @kevgermany I fexed too much into this sensors.

I know almost everything. Left upgrading firmware wchich is peinfull at this moment.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ tomf commented ·
Don't we all. Good luck.
0 Likes 0 ·