question

matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 asked

Where does excess power go in microgrid setup

Hi All, noob question here.

I'm designing a system whereby I have a microgrid.

Eg

Grid -> quatro/multiplus with batteries connected -> house circuits -> grid tied inverter

I'm however struggling with some logic.

Say the real grid goes down. My system above should continue using the batteries and grid tied inverter (if wired correctly and assuming my understanding is correct)

However say the grid goes down and my batteries are full and the grid tied inverter is still pumping out energy.

Do I need to setup grid limiting on the grid tied inverter or use a specific supported grid tied inverter to prevent this scenario ever happening? If not where does that exercess energy go given batteries are full and grid is offline?....

The growatt grid tied inverter I have does support grid limiting I believe and would connect to a meter measuring house loads to determine how much power limiting to implement. However I don't want this setting enabled all the time as if the grid is connected I'd like to sell the excess back to the grid. I can maybe get creative with raspi RS485 adapter and python and right a script to enable/disable the setting if grid goes down. (however I'd desperately need to up my python abilities for that)

If grid limiting isn't the solution to the above then I'm completely lost as to what happens to that excess power produced by the grid tied inverter. Would greatly appreciate either an explanation or direction on what resources to read to find the answer.

Thanks,

Matt

gridAC PV Couplingac couplingmicrogrid
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·
Hio

You can use the ESS assistant to control AC PV coupled AC power by frequency shifting setting, This works when the surplus power is detected, and changes the AC1 output frequency which most grid tied inverters will lower they power output and will completely stop when it reaches 53Hz. Standard settings

But when grid is availble again it will export as required, remember the No1 rule applies.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

First question should be:
It that PV inverter able to start/work at a micro grid?
Some PV inverters can be configured to run on a micro grid but not all.

If the PV inverter is able to run an a micro grid it must be able to control its output power with frequency shifting.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ac_coupling:start

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.