question

dwight-kruger avatar image
dwight-kruger asked

Looking for 10 KVa 3-phase inverter/charger options for US

I am trying to determine which set of 3 inverter/chargers are suitable for my application. I am powering a ship with 3-phase diesel generators (running one a time, with two for redundancy) powering 3-phase pumps, split phase hot water tanks, reverse osmosis water makers, 3-hase windlass, 120V refrigeration, cooktops, lights, etc.

I am looking for a set of 3 inverter/chargers to provide 10 KVa 3-phase power at night (so we can stop running the generator thus eliminate generator noise) and to provide power assist during daylight hours (thus reducing the size of generator required). I propose to supply the inverter/chargers with DC power via 4 sets of 48V Lithium batteries (with some enormous number of Amp hours available).

Since I am based in the US, I have a 208V 3-phase setup at 60 Hz. I normally provide electrical power using one 3-phase generator while at sea, and connect to 100 amp 3-phase shore power while at dock.

I have considered Quattro, Quattro II and Multiplus-II. I am confused which are appropriate for a US configuration at 60Hz, 208V 3-phase input, providing 208V (with 120V hot to neutral) for the US. Many of the options indicate they are available in 60Hz, but it is not clear they have configured the neutral and ground appropriately for the US.

What are my options?

3 phasequattro 10kva
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

You'd need to use three 120V 10kVA Quattros. These three would then be software configured as a three phase group. The AC outputs are wired in a star configuration to provide 120V line to neutral and consequently, 208V line to line.

The Quattro has a ground relay for the output. When running on generator the ground-neutral bond should be upstream of the Quattro so the ground relay is open. The backfeed relay for that input will be closed.
Same for shore power via the other AC input.

When the generator is not running and AC input is gone, then the backfeed relay will open and ground relay will close forming the ground-neutral bond there.
The ground-neutral relay is configurable if you have other ground-neutral arrangements downstream. There is also a relay output to drive an external ground-neutral relay if you require.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:manual_parallel_and_three_phase_systems

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.