question

solarwizard avatar image
solarwizard asked

Will VEBus Smart Dongle control MultiPlus Compact 24/200/50-50 by Bluetooth through VictronConnect?

I have MultiPlus Compact 24/200/50-50, SmartSolar MPPT 150/45-TR, BMV Battery Monitor 712-Smart, Smart Battery Sense, and VE Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle. The VE Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle works in a different system with the Phoenix Inverter 24/250 120V VE.Direct NEMA 5-15R, but I don’t see anywhere to plug it into the MultiPlus. I think the VEBus Smart Dongle might work, it at least appears to have the right kind of connector. I’m thinking the VEBus Smart Dongle might do the work of both the Smart Battery Sense and the VE Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle?

Am I on the right track to order a VEBus Smart Dongle? Can this work without a hardwired control panel or display? Will I need anything else to make this system work?

Is there a document that explains what is needed (works together) and how to configure this system? The manuals are not enough for me to figure it out.

Thanks for any help offered!

Bluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

The VE Bus smart dongle will provide accurate and realtime battery voltage & temperature data directly to the Multiplus ONLY - without the need for anything extra such as a Venus device. You can then monitor the Multiplus, turn it on/off & make basic changes to settings using Victron Connect (via Bluetooth).

It should just 'plug & play' with the Multiplus (VE Bus RJ45 connection), without the need for any complex setup.

This device will not communicate with the MPPT.

Link to manual:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vebus_smart_dongle_manual

For the SmartSolar MPPT you should be able to pair it directly with your BMV-712 to provide accurate and realtime battery voltage & temperature data (providing that you also have the temperature probe accessory for it).

Accordingly you probably don't need the Smart Battery Sense (unless you don't have the temperature probe for the BMV-712).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

solarwizard avatar image
solarwizard answered ·

Great, thanks. I’m beginning to understand how this equipment communicates. Seems like two different networks, VE Direct and VE Bus that don’t talk to each other. Will the MuliPlus update firmware through the VE Bus Smart Dongle? Or do I need something else for that?

2 |3000

solarwizard avatar image
solarwizard answered ·

I just found the answer in the VE Bus Smart Dongle Manual that it does firmware updates.

1 comment
2 |3000

Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ commented ·

Nice, I actually didn't know that...

0 Likes 0 ·