question

sud avatar image
sud asked

2 x 12 volt chargers on a 24 volt series setup......?

Your thoughts please? Could I do this charging setup?

Figure 7: Two Batteries in Series, Two Chargers
Figure 7: Two Batteries in Series, Two Chargers

Figure 7 shows two 12 Volt batteries connected in series. The resulting battery pack voltage is 24 volts. As you can see, each battery is connected to a single 12-volt charger. This is probably the best way to ensure that each battery is completely recharged to its full capacity after each time that the battery pack is discharged. This eliminates most of the problems associated with cycling batteries connected in series strings.

https://www.batterytender.com/connecting-batteries-chargers-in-series-parallel

section 7

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Yes, but make sure you use the isolated chargers.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sud avatar image sud commented ·

what do you mean by isolated chargers Kev? I’ve shown this diagram to batterymegastore uk, whom I bought the batteries off, and they said it’s a no no, not to do it.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ sud commented ·

Some chargers have negatives connected, also to case. Isolated ones don't and are OK for this. Your supplier probably takes the safer route. Ban everything just in case.

You'll see in the Victron product info (data sheets for chargers, manuals for chargers and often in the product name isolated when this is the case.

I'll try and find the thread about this.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

I can't find it, sorry. But after saying it can be done, I'd go with a single 24V unit.

0 Likes 0 ·
sud avatar image sud kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Ok Kev, I have got A 24 volt 20 amp charger that I will use then, thanks For your replys
0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp sud commented ·

@Sud

I would suggest to invest also into battery balancer

https://www.victronenergy.com/batteries/battery-balancer

0 Likes 0 ·
sud avatar image sud marekp commented ·
Good advice Marek, thankyou,I have purchased one.
0 Likes 0 ·
Andrew Jefferies avatar image
Andrew Jefferies answered ·

I have 4 Victron Blue Smart 12V 10A charging a 48V 100Ah bank, they are galvanically isolated within the charger, the only problem that I can foresee is "What happens if there is an open circuit within a battery & a load is applied to the bank ?"... an overvolt on a charger & maybe magic smoke !

2 |3000

pd-baits-proudly-handcrafted-in-norway avatar image
pd-baits-proudly-handcrafted-in-norway answered ·

I run 2 Blue Smart 65 12V/7A in a 24V setup on my Minnkota Ulterra 24V. I think that is a perfect setup, each 12v has its own charger.

2 |3000