question

Klaus avatar image
Klaus asked

Lithium - Multi-hour Daily Absorption Time and Battery Lifetime

Does a daily absorption time of 4-6 hours decrease the lifestime of Lithium 12,8V Smart batteries?

If yes, can we estimate to how much less cycles this could lead to (all else equal)?

Absorption voltage: 14,25V and Float voltage: 13,5V

Background:

I am designing a Lithium batteries solution that will replace Mastervolt AGM batteries (1.100 Ah) on a sailing vessel.

There are a few different charging sources that should be kept in place (Victron BlueSolar 75/15, Mastervolt Solar ChargerMaster SCM 25, Cristec YPower 40A shore-power chargers, Sterling AB1280 alternator to batteries charger on 80A rated alternator).

I plan to use two Victron Lithium 12,8V Smart 330Ah batteries in parallel (12V system), each Lithium with its own smallBMS and ATC/ATD Smart Battery Protects (dual bus system).

All chargers do a IUoU charging cycle with an absorption time of between 4 and 6 hours with each cycle.

As tail currents are (to my understanding) too high with the battery bank size configured (660Ah) for absorption cut off when batteries are full, I would expect a 4-6 hour absorption time for each cycle.

That should be ok (I guess) with alternator or shore power charging as this does not happen every day (based on the usage profile of the boat).

But with solar chargers (the boat will be located in the Mediterranean and Caribbean), there would be a daily absorption time of the 4-6 hours at 14,25V.

Absorption voltage: 14,25V

Float voltage: 13,5V

All Chargers (except Victron) can NOT be forced to shorter absorption times.

Do those long daily absorption times shorten the lifetime of the Lithium batteries?

If yes, can we estimate how much less cycles we should expect over the lifetime of the batteries (if all else being equal)?

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

LFP cells are typically fully charged at 3.55-3.65V and at 0.05C tail current. Yes, you can poke a little more in them than that, but it's mostly surface charge, and they won't readily except more than a handful of milliamps after a while.

HOLDING a cell at peak charge voltage for longer than the tail current is achieved is not conducive to longevity and should be avoided.

If forced to deal with long absorption times, 13.8V absorption and 13.6V float are great alternatives for extended cycle life. By reducing both the peak voltage and average current at the lower peak voltage, this reduces the stresses of charging.

Generally speaking with grid or solar charging, 13.8V absorption will get batteries to 98%+ SoC from dead empty over the course of about 6 hours provided your starting current is about 0.2C or higher.

This NOT a good option for generator charging as it may notably extended the run time of the generator. You want to charge to 14.4V or so with a 15-30 minute absorption time - cut off manually if necessary.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Klaus avatar image Klaus commented ·
Hi @snoobler, thank you for the extensive answer! Much appreciated!
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources