question

nicetrip avatar image
nicetrip asked

2x Orion 24/12-30 in parallel review ... a few thoughts

Hi, I have two 24/12 30 A TR running in parallel for a while. A few thoughts on them.

The H L bridge I though would deactivate them completely for motor home storage, but unfortunately BT stays on. I have strong fuses on my battery banks, but no switch, so the Orions can't be de energized which is a bit of a pain.

Both now start at the same time through voltage sensing, but stay under their full ampere, charging like 25-30 ampere. I wonder why that is.

Start delay:

If ignition wire 24V is used on the H port, would that switch on and off as the internal voltage sensing does? As far as I see everyone who is keen on switching them does it for a delay, to give the motor / alternator time before being loaded. A time delay relay needs to be fitted, which I all had prepared. Now seeing how the voltage sensing works, and no complete switch off is possible, I wonder if we manipulate the min voltage higher in the sensing section, to make the Tr think it has to wait the certain seconds to start, will it start, even that voltage then wont be reached anyway?

That would delay start of charging.

So in short, my alternator comes with 18.2 volt when the starter battery is full. If we set min voltage in the TR to 18.5 volts, would the Tr wait its seconds and then start charging?

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers