question

4ncar avatar image
4ncar asked

Not getting close to max Wattage from Solar Panels

I have a 75/15 SC and 4 @ 100 watts of PV panels in parallel (3 fixed, 1 suitcase). I understand that the controller will limit amps, but in full ARG Texas sun(as full as February will give) I have yet to see any thing over 220 watts coming from all 4 (and even 3) panels. I am getting 20+ volts from each panel, and from the array. This condition prevails even when less then 100% SOC. What is particularly curious is that the SC “meter” will show 200+ but it will be close to the end of the range( as if 200 is the maximum the gauge will reflect).

What am

I missing?

MPPT ControllersSolar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

You did not mention what your battery Voltage is.
I'll assume that it's a 12V battery? If so then 220W maximum sounds about right to me.
You see, the charge controller can charge with a maximum current of 15A, so power is current multiplied by Voltage. If you battery is approaching full, then it would be around 14.5V, so 14.5 x 15 = 217.5W.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4ncar avatar image 4ncar commented ·

Yes, 12v. I understand, simple math, so, to best utilize the solar array, I need to increase the SC capabilities?

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ 4ncar commented ·
Yes, you basically need a bigger MPPT controller or more MPPT controllers.

Maybe a 100/20 for your fixed panels which is a little bit under the full capacity of your array with no headroom, ideally a 100/30 would cover those three with spare capacity.
Best not to connect the folding panel to the same array as the fixed ones because mixing panels like that is not really a good idea. So keep your 75/15 for the folding panel on its own.

0 Likes 0 ·
4ncar avatar image 4ncar wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
Awesome, thanks!
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual