question

vasqsteven avatar image
vasqsteven asked

Smartsolar mppt 75/15 panel not charging battery

We recently bought a travel trailer that has a 200w solar panel install with a Smartsolar 75/15 Mppt. The panel does not seem to be charging the batteries. We have two 12v deep cycle batteries. I am not super well versed in solar setups. However, the numbers on the Victron app don't seem normal to me. It shows that the solar is producing 0w in full sun and that the batteries are at over 42v. Our battery level indicator inside our RV says the batteries are 2/3 full. I would like to attempt to fix the issue myself. Any suggestions? screenshot-20220206-130442-comvictronenergyvictron.jpg

battery charging
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Good it's fixed. Suggest you get a to grommet or some other protection around the wires to the MPPT. That looks like it will charge and wear, causing a short.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Maybe the connections of PV and Battery are swapped? Check the wiring. Also check the settings of the MPPT that it is setup for 12V.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vasqsteven avatar image vasqsteven commented ·

img-20220206-135812.jpgIt's set to 12v in the app. I am currently trying to figure out which wires go where from the Mppt. Everything is run behind a wooden barrier so it's a bit hard to tell. Here's a Pic of the MTTP.

0 Likes 0 ·

It appears you were right. I swapped the PV and battery and this is what the app is showing now. Thank you! screenshot-20220206-142232-comvictronenergyvictron.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

What voltage battery system do you have?

These values look as if there is a faulty panel connection, 48V leisure batteries. Is there an isolator/breaker between the panels and MPPT?

For the charging to start, panel voltage must be at/higher than actual battery voltage.

1 comment
2 |3000

img-20220206-133152.jpgWe have a 12 volt system. Here's some pics of the outside panel but if there is a breaker between the MTTP and the panel, it is hidden behind a wall. img-20220206-133242.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·