question

Jay Kote avatar image
Jay Kote asked

Good Quality Low Price option for 24V upto 200A Bus Bar (no problem finding 12V)?

Any one used an affordable 24V for 200A bus bar? (No problem finding 12V, but no low cost 24V). Any pointers will be appreciated.

Found very good price on amzn.com, but different responses as the spec sheet says 12v, whereas a user says 24v works fine. No response from seller, of course.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Unless the Bus Bar has some sort of switching incorporated in it then I can't think why it would be limited to 12V and not be able to safely work on 24V systems.
Does it have fuses with it? These could have a Voltage rating, but should be fine up to 24V.
Do you have a link to the product that you can share with us?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jay Kote avatar image Jay Kote commented ·

Strictly a passive bar. Not sure why the spec would be 12V and bolt connector is rated for 24V. Never heard from the seller. Users all (except one) say they would only use it for 12V cause that's the spec. One said she's using it for 48V without problems.

Course I'm sure the seller is just a reseller and has no clue -- as I got no response from him/her.

Blue is 3 times the price.

0 Likes 0 ·
kai avatar image kai ♦ Jay Kote commented ·

The other solution if price is that critical is roll your own with a thick copper bar, some (say) M8 or M10 nuts and bolts and a drill press. This way you get to define the mounting points as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
kai avatar image
kai answered ·

bluesea makes busbars that they rate to 48VDC. If its purely passively with only the conductor and connection points, agree that "up-rating" to 24VDC is unlikely to cause issues.

2 |3000

Charlie Johnson avatar image
Charlie Johnson answered ·

The BlueSea 250A/48VDC 4 x 5/16-18 stud m/n 2127 MSRP is $56USD. A quick on line search shows them available for as low as $32USD.

A DIY bus bar with an insulated base would be difficult to produce for that cost.

1 comment
2 |3000

Yeah. That is a good price. But the one I see is 4.5 star 4 stud 200A at $12. That's why I'm trying to see if I can save my customer about $40 (off two) -- and to keep in reference for myself, in case I ever one to do my own -)).

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

For a Bus bar there is really no voltage limit at all, (except insulation quality on the mountings)

They all would be OK at under 50v as the insulation on them and they would all be rated to 50v, the amps is the MAIN issue you should be looking at as this is what they are sized for.

200amp is the same for 12 volt 24 36 and 48, ( thats unless there is some fancy switching included which would be very rare.)

1 comment
2 |3000

Thank you. This is consistent with another user of the product. She said she is using it with 48V even though its rated for 12V 200A. She never responded when I asked how many amps/watts she was pushing through the bus.

The mounts are rated for 24V. The item itself is rated for 12V @ 200A. One black & one red for $20. Seems like a really good deal w/ 4.5 star and only complaint being not to over tighten the bolts .

0 Likes 0 ·