question

Seth Nickell avatar image
Seth Nickell asked

Victron 200ah LiFePO4: E-SL24 and E-SL2 error

I just updated a victron 200ah LiFePO4 to v1.25 firmware, and I'm getting E-SL24 and E-SL2 error codes. Additionally, VictronConnect says "Alarm Charging disabled & Discharging disabled" and shows no information for cell voltages.

It suggests re-installing the firmware update, but product info won't update, and says its already on the latest. I tried restarting the controller.

Thanks!

Lithium Battery
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Nickell avatar image Seth Nickell kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

@kevgermany no, I wasn't able to get that one to do anything, our records indicate this battery was charged within the past several months, and was reported as working happily in victron connect at that time. We've had a lot of turnover during covid, so records aren't great. I'm worried this one stopped working when I let it firmware update from Victron Connect before I checked on its status.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Seth Nickell commented ·
OK, hope you get a good answer, this is outside my knowledge
0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Nickell avatar image Seth Nickell kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

I'm supposed to check on the status and maintain about 8 of these batteries (most are from the same batch), but I haven't used Victron gear before, so I'm learning as I'm going. You'll probably see me posting more questions going forward, if it helps I can identify the batteries by number, but so far most of them seem to be working happily (have a few that need their cells rebalanced but otherwise seem ok)

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Seth Nickell commented ·
Looking forward to more questions.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Seth, I quickly checked with engineering, and I'm afraid the best is to get it replaced/returned: if you are a direct distributor, make an RMA - and otherwise contact your distributor.

12 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Seth Nickell avatar image Seth Nickell commented ·

Aloha @mvader (Victron Energy) , thanks for getting back to me!

I'm not a Victron distributor, I mainly assist hawaii based academic labs in procuring, shipping, and servicing one-off scientific equipment.

I apologize, but I've been unable to figure out who our distributor for this batch of batteries would be. This is work I'm doing for a lab, and unfortunately their asset records are sometimes lacking. You might think scientists would be good at accounting, but I'm learning its quite the other way. They /think/ this got this particular battery shipped directly to the lab by a corporate donor (as part of a research grant batch), but honestly I'm not sure.

One additional complication... we're 4000km from the nearest victron distributor, did I mention the battery is in Hawaii? 8-D

Is there any possibility of doing an e-rma directly to victron? I've shipped large lithiums before, and have experience crating them appropriately for ocean shipping. I know this is irregular, but thought I'd check.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Seth Nickell commented ·

Hi Seth,

Understood. Could you use this form? https://professional.victronenergy.com/support/

The Serial nr. will be on the battery, perhaps also in VictronConnect. We’ll get it sorted!

Matthijs

Ps. I heard one of our distributors was afraid of a wider problem when reading this, and I can assure anyone: this is an extremely rare error. I can find only a few cases of this versus many many shipped batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Ps2: also to you and your customer Seth, sorry for the troubles.
0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Nickell avatar image Seth Nickell mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
@mvader (Victron Energy) no worries from me or my "customer":.I'm doing this mainly as a favor: the lab's "solar guy" got his phd and graduated, and I didn't want to see their field stations fall apart).

I appreciate the quick replies and directing me the right place. tbh, this is my first time working w/ victron gear, and I'm already tempted to replace *my* midnite/outback home system :-D
0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Nickell avatar image Seth Nickell Seth Nickell commented ·
uhm, I just checked @mvader (Victron Energy) 's profile: now I'm even more impressed with Victron (!!!), and slightly embarrassed haha
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Seth Nickell commented ·
Hi Seth, No need to be embarrassed at all!

Could be yes that its the farthest on the Northern hemisphere indeed!

Most likely we’ll ship you either a new battery (from a US warehouse - stock permitting) or a new PCBA. Chances that you’ll need to ship to NL, and then wait for it to return are quite small.

Have a good weekend, Matthijs

0 Likes 0 ·

aloha, and hope you take some weekend too from time to time ;-)

0 Likes 0 ·

Btw, the form directed us toward what appears to be an electricity agency of the colombian govt as our distributor. Wow!

We're still hoping for a response for a response, because now folks are curious and there are more than a few beer bets. Theories include: the form matched us by re-using a driving distance algo that solves driving to/from islands by projecting them to nearest coast (ok I'll come clean, this is my pet theory) Another popular idea involves loose affiliation with forestry research in Costa Rica... but that's a long way from Colombia, and the borders.... Well, let's just say: some advocates of this theory have colorful imaginations :-D

The serial is HQ1823W1858, if there's an ending to the mystery, several bar bets hang in the balance *grin*

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Nickell avatar image Seth Nickell Seth Nickell commented ·

Aloha @mvader (Victron Energy) , sorry to bother, guessing ya'll have plenty on your plate, but wasn't sure if maybe I just responded to a now buried thread

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi @Seth Nickell - my apologies! I missed your comments. I'll make sure someone contacts you; latest tomorrow.
0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Nickell avatar image Seth Nickell commented ·
I just had a funny thought: I wonder if we're the farthest from a Victron distributor that you can get on planet earth? Probably not, but maybe in the northern hemisphere? :-)
0 Likes 0 ·
David butler avatar image David butler commented ·

hi Seth - any recent updates to this issue e-sl24 fatal error, I also have a 200 amp battery, from 2021, one is now showing this error, with the fireware updated, not sure if that caused the issue or not, the other battery does not even show in the app. thanks David

0 Likes 0 ·
philiplyra avatar image
philiplyra answered ·

Victron 330ah LiFePO4: E-SL24 and E-SL2 error

Last week I received a brand new LiFePo 330Ah Battery (SER:HQ211349QY3).

Using VictronConnect it was upgraded to the newest firmware and for the past week it worked fine, showing all cells at 3.28V. It is waiting at home for installation and I have checked it regularly over the past week.
Now, after one week, it suddenly showed errors SL-2 and SL-24, just like this similar post (https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/118141/victron-200ah-lifepo4-e-sl24-and-e-sl2-error.html) on the 200Ah Battery. Voltage measured with Volt-meter is 13.15V
I have mailed my dealer dealer asking for corrective action, and will wait for his response.

2 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi @PhilipLyra sorry for the trouble! I’m sure it will be sorted smoothly.
0 Likes 0 ·
philiplyra avatar image philiplyra mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

After some insistence, an appointment could be made to visit the service department. It was found that a reset of the microprocessor did not solve the problem and the battery has now been exchanged for a new battery (SER: HQ2113UGPCX).

This solved the problem as should be and I assume that this is a rare case of bad luck

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources