question

alex-2 avatar image
alex-2 asked

Lithium set up with alternator

Hi - can you help?

I have the following set up on my boat and want to add Lithium batteries.

I have a standard 80A Hitachi alternator currently connected to a 100Ah lead acid starter battery and a bank of 2 x 180Ah lead acid batteries for the domestics - all 12v

I also have a 4Kw Fischer Panda DC generator which i try not to use but is there just as back up.

That is the current configuration...

I now have 4 x 174w Victron solar panels which i plan connecting to 4 x Smart solar 75-15 MPPT (which i already have). I also have 4 x 100Ah Victron lithium batteries (2 x Superpack and 2 x Smart), 2 x Mini BMS and 2 x Battery Protect 65A

I was going to just change the lead acid for the lithium but now wonder if i can use them both??

I am also looking at the Orion DC-DC converter 30A after watching the online videos.

so, my question is what would be the best set up for this and what if anything else should i be considering?

Many thanks

Alex

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
hjohnson avatar image
hjohnson answered ·

I’m just embarking on a similar upgrade for my boat, though using a DIY LiFePO4 battery. What I’m planning on doing is modifying my hitachi 80A for external regulation (if possible) and controlling it with a Wakespeed WS500 regulator. That will directly charge the lithium bank. My starter battery will then be charged through an Oriontr.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.