question

gone-sailing avatar image
gone-sailing asked

Humidity on VRM

HI, I am creating my own temperature and humidity sensor using an Arduino. I am sending reading from Arduino via MQTT. I am able to see the temperatures on VRM but I do not see the humidity value. According the the VRM update on 7th December the Humidity value should be displayed on the VRM dashboard underneath the temperature.

The MQTT topic I am using are:

For temperature: W/<portal id>/temperature/<device id>/Temperature

For humidity: W/<portal id>/temperature/<device id>/Humidity

I can also see the values on the local Venus MQTT (using MQTT Explorer) at
N/<portal id>/temperature/<device id>/Temperature and N/<portal id>/temperature/<device id>/Humidity

Am I doing something wrong?

Regards

Martin

VRMTemperature SensorMQTTtemperature
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

What's firmware version of your Venus OS?
0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @gone-sailing,

thanks. That explains why you're not seeing humidity. Meanwhile we're at 2.80~41-large-25 and humidity became available with the 2.80~33-large-24 I think. I suggest you follow the "tracker" for new announcements on the large image here: https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/issues/378

You'll find the download link to the dropbox link somewhere in that thread.

9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Igor Sarychkin avatar image Igor Sarychkin commented ·

Hi, @Stefanie I have the 2.80~33-large-24 installed. SignalK is connected to VenusOS locally via its plugin with the dbus interface and all Victron data shows fine on VRM. I also have a wireless SensESP temperature sensor that sends deltas to SignalK server with a configurable SignalK path (e.g. environment.inside.temperature) - this also shows fine in SignalK's Data Browser. Is there a way to convince that temperature data to display on VRM? I tried various configuration via the Victron's MQTT but with no luck. Any pointers would be much appreciated. Cheers.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Igor Sarychkin commented ·

Hi Igor,

I think this is not possible out of the box. The only temperature sensors natively supported by Venus OS are those connected to the generic temperature input of a GX device and recently the RuuviTags via Bluetooth and I heard that also some Shelly will get support in the future. Everything else requires extra coding effort to make them available on the D-Bus.

D-Bus (internal data bus) is the keyword here. To show data on VRM, it first needs to be made available on D-Bus. I suggest reading this to get an idea how much effort it is to make a driver for your sensor: https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/howto-add-a-driver-to-Venus
Not sure if it's worth the effort or maybe easier to get one or more of these excellent and cheap Ruuvis.

0 Likes 0 ·
Igor Sarychkin avatar image Igor Sarychkin Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks, Stephanie. My devious plan was to try and manipulate the d-bus interface via the Victron's MQTT broker and "W" (write) topic, i.e. the same format used by @gone-sailing - W/<portal id>/temperature/<device id>/Temperature . Ruuvis sensors might be easier but it's a bit problematic for me at the moment with the boat being 2000 nm away ;)

0 Likes 0 ·
gone-sailing avatar image gone-sailing Igor Sarychkin commented ·
You need to run a device service on your GX device that sets up the dbus with a device instance. If you have a little python skills it's not too hard. Then you can publish messages to the appropriate MQTT queue from any other device.
0 Likes 0 ·
Igor Sarychkin avatar image Igor Sarychkin gone-sailing commented ·
Got it. Found more info re dbus and the RPi built in temp sensor. Thanks very much, @gone-sailing
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Igor Sarychkin commented ·

I wish I could help you here, but my programming skills are rather abysmal. I need to see a working example to understand how it works. Maybe @gone-sailing can share more information on that and provide us with step-by-step guide.

0 Likes 0 ·
gone-sailing avatar image gone-sailing Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
What I have now is just a POC, it still needs more work. I will happily share it all once it is completed.
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ gone-sailing commented ·

That would be cool. Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
Igor Sarychkin avatar image Igor Sarychkin Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Cheers, Stefanie. Working examples is all we need :)
0 Likes 0 ·
gone-sailing answered ·

I'm running the Venus V2.80-21 Large on a Raspberry pi for dev/test purposes. I don't think there is a later Large version.

2 |3000

gone-sailing answered ·

thanks, upgrading to latest large image has fixed it. All working now.

2 |3000

Related Resources