question

ftlsailor avatar image
ftlsailor asked

Cerbo GX and multiple battery banks

My sailboat has two battery banks. One is for my engine (it is an electric boat, so this would be a 48V 440A bank) and the other is for the house (12V 800A bank). Both have separate charge sources. Would one Cerbo GX handle this, or would each bank require a separate Cerbo GX? Also, would I require two GX Touch 50s?

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It is possible to connect more than one battery bank via a battery monitor Smartshunt or BMV to the CerboGX. However, only one battery monitor can be assigned to be the "system" battery. Usually the house battery would be assigned to be the system battery. This battery would be the one on the front page of the CerboGX.
The other battery (propulsion battery) would only be visible by navigating into the devices menu to see its status.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jason-taylor avatar image
jason-taylor answered ·

I have a similar situation:
- Cerbo GX,

- multiplus II 48/3000 for charging the 48V propulsion bank

- SmartSolar 100/20 for charging the 12v house battery.

My setup does work, it just doesn't, display everything on the dashboard, and it shows my solar charge controller as connected to the 48v battery.

I think this will become an increasingly common situation with more and more electrically driven boats. Some boats opt to forego the house battery, using a 48v-12v converter for house loads. Others have two independent systems with a DC-DC converter keeping the house battery topped up from the propulsion bank. It would certainly be nice for the dashboard to reflect this dual-energy storage situation properly, and show the "marching ants" lines of the energy flows.

2 comments
2 |3000

sherulesthewaves avatar image sherulesthewaves commented ·
Yes please! I also have a 48v bank (connected to Multiplus) with a dc-dc to the 12v bank (plus 12v starter battery).

And also a dc-dc to 24v (no battery though) for some appliances.

1 Like 1 ·
Brian Finley avatar image Brian Finley sherulesthewaves commented ·
I have 10KW of 48v main batteries connected to my Cerbo GX via BMS-Can, with 2.6KW of 12v house batteries on a SmartShunt connected to the Cerbo GX via VE.Direct in my 5th Wheel RV. I use an Orion 48-12 to charge the 12V from the 48V, but am currently manually triggering the relay.

I need to be able to:

• Display the house battery SOC on the GX display
  • Trigger Relay 1 to start the Orion based on SOC of the house battery. I can use the generator oriented relay control option to trigger based on SOC, but that appears to be based on the main battery, not the house battery. I need to be able to specify which battery I want the trigger based on.
2 Likes 2 ·
caver avatar image
caver answered ·

To add to this thread, we have three battery banks, 48V propulsion, 24V house and 12V gen set start battery. Appears that only one bank is visible on the "pages" screen with others requiring dig into menu. Would be great if Victron could address this visibility issue.

1 comment
2 |3000

mr-manuel avatar image mr-manuel commented ·

Maybe this can show you multiple battery banks: https://github.com/kwindrem/GuiMods

0 Likes 0 ·
carsten2 avatar image
carsten2 answered ·
2 |3000

arnold-de-maa avatar image
arnold-de-maa answered ·

Hello, I also have a customer who has 2 (main) battery banks.

1) Quatro, smart shunt with 600AH 24V bank is used as service batteries

2) Skylla-IP65, smart shunt 400AH 24V bank is used as power pack system (hydrolic system for winches and sail lining)

Everything is installed in the cerbo GX, but only the service system is easy to monitor. The wish is to create a 2nd overview page similar to the "main page" at settings it should then be possible to assign the installed devices to:

0: Do not assign

1: 1st main page

2: 2nd main page

2 |3000

josehoya avatar image
josehoya answered ·

I also have a 48v bank for the motor and a 12v for the house. Seeing this on the opening page would be great. The other issue I am having is that I’ve connected the PV for the 12v to the Cerbo and now it stops 12v pv charging once the 48v is 100% soc.

2 |3000

carsten2 avatar image
carsten2 answered ·

Now with Dynamic ESS it be even more important that the Multiplus can monitor an existing second battery.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/171975/multiplus-ii-as-addition-to-existing-hybrid-invert.html

2 |3000