question

daniel1957 avatar image
daniel1957 asked

help need with system setup

I already have a 2000Ahr battery system, 5kw PV array and backup diesel generator.

My previous inverter/charger blew up in a lightning storm.

On advise from seller, I purchased a Quattro 48v 10kva inverter charger, a mkiii to usb adapter, a BMV712, a Venus GX and a wiFi long range module.

I have installed and have the BMV712 working at the quattro.

The system is located 100 metres from the house where we wish to monitor the state of charge and have ability to start and stop the diesel generator by remote using an existing portable device with bluetooth and wifi capability.

A couple of questions -

1. Have I been sold the correct equipment venus GX & long range WiFi to do what I wish to do?

2. If so, then how do I set it up?

thanks, in anticipation

Venus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Daniel. Just adding to the other offerings:

1/ Yes, you have the correct kit. Should be a nice system.

2/ If you struggle with the wifi over the distance then there's also EoP to consider, given you're likely to have an electrical connection to the house. The Venus ethernet protocol link is your target. At the house, to a router (ideally).

Typically, once connected to the router it will be assigned a dhcp lan address (say 192.168.x.x), and if you type just that into a browser tab you'll have real-time monitoring & control over the Venus.

But sign it in to the VRM portal and you'll be amazed at the graphs etc. I leave a separate tab on my browser for that.

It's a very powerful system and can seem quite complex at first. But don't fear it - plenty info online and ongoing help from here too. Just ask..

A personal tip if you'll permit me - Treat it as a hobby, and enjoy the learning curve.. :)

Have fun.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

daniel1957 avatar image daniel1957 commented ·

Thanks JohnC - much appreciated!

I gave up on the Victron long range WiFi adapter (Gembird WNP-UA-002) and have already packed it up to return for refund.

When in the battery room I get reliable BMV712 bluetooth with its output to my phone but the Venus GX wifi is unreliable - I have diagnosed this as requiring input of the WiFi password on my phone each time I visit the battery room - very frustrating!

Surely in the battery room located within 1 metre of both BMV712 & Venus GX I should get reliable connection to both on the Victron Connect app on my phone without entering the WiFi password every time?

I have researched the EoP and it appears that it will work well up to 200 metres - so that is a good solution, thank you.

Now my next task is to work out why the VenusGX is reporting different SoC for the battery and power useage from the Quattro compared to the BMV712??

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ daniel1957 commented ·

Good you asked a separate question for the SOC issue. Soon you won't need to go near the battery room. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
hobohome avatar image
hobohome answered ·

It depends what you mean by “long range wifi” .

If this is a USB dongle for the Venus GX, then (IMHO) this is not ideal. As I think this configuration will create a new wifi network.

The better solution would be to Ethernet wire the Venus to a wifi bridge to have that device connected to your home network.

I believe that this would provide all of the functionality you require while also allowing for future enhancements.

11 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Hobohome; thanks for helping here. You wrote:

> As I think this configuration will create a new wifi network.

no its not like that. When inserting a USB-wifi dongle into a Venus GX; its used to connect to another network. Its not used for its self-created accesspoint.

> The better solution would be to Ethernet wire the Venus to a wifi bridge to have that device connected to your home network.

Regardless of what I said before; that I agree with. 100 meters is really long; could be too far away; even for the `long range module`.

Note that after this I have to step out; other things to do: anyone welcome to help here.

0 Likes 0 ·
daniel1957 avatar image daniel1957 mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

What are you actually saying? this sounds very confused to say the least!

Are there any instructions for connecting the VenusGX?

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ daniel1957 commented ·

The Venus GX can do two things with a WiFi radio:

1) make an access point itself; ie a create a new WiFi network; as @Hobohome was referring too.

2) connect to an existing WiFi network; ie your home network.

What I wanted to say is that when using that USB long range accessory; the Venus GX will use it for (2). Not (1).

Lets just disregard my comment on the 100m range; that was indeed confusing as I don't have any real experience or knowledge about its range.

0 Likes 0 ·

The VenusGX came in a Victron box with no instructions, no cables.

The Long range WiFi USB dongle is a generic brand sold by Victron Energy - # BPP900200200 - I don't know whether it goes in the house onto the PC or onto the VenusGX.

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ daniel1957 commented ·

Hi @Daniel1957,

start to look here for instructions how to set up your VenusGX: venus-gx:start

Questions like that, are not the right point to start this kind of installations. ;o)

Maybe you should even consider to ask for local support in this case: www.victronenergy.com/support

Regards,

Markus

1 Like 1 ·
daniel1957 avatar image daniel1957 markus ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you Markus -very helpful indeed. And sure enough the VictronEnergy instructions state that the inbuilt WiFi is "very weak" and it requires a lang range WiFi dongle to make it function properly - therefore it is now obvious that the dongle is fitted to the Venus GX.

0 Likes 0 ·
hobohome avatar image hobohome daniel1957 commented ·

@Daniel1957 I see that you are in NSW (I am in Queensland) - Rainbow Power in Nimbin are very familiar with Victron gear, if you are looking for a solar company that knows their stuff. (I have no association with them).

0 Likes 0 ·
daniel1957 avatar image daniel1957 hobohome commented ·

Rainbow were trying to sell me the Victron Quattro for $7,900 when every other dealer listed it for $4,500 - I am not inclined to phone them as I bought elsewhere.....

0 Likes 0 ·

100 metres too long for a long range WiFi USB dongle??

I use a 1000 m long range BT USB dongle for my field work on my ToughPad to control my surveying instruments..

0 Likes 0 ·
hobohome avatar image hobohome daniel1957 commented ·

Typically, all that is needed to increase the range of WIFI is a correctly matched directional antenna (typically a yagi). If your long-range dongle does not make a reliable connection to you home wifi network and it has a connector for an external antenna, it should pose no problem at all to get it to connect at 100m (I have one working here at 600m - and there are many reports of successful connections at ranges of many kilometres).

1 Like 1 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ daniel1957 commented ·

don't take my words on that too literally; to me, 100 meters sounds long for wifi. But then again I really don't have any experience with that; other than that for me, WiFi range is always too short ;o)

0 Likes 0 ·
daniel1957 avatar image
daniel1957 answered ·

Thanks Hobo

I have decided to go with EoP as it is cheaper, uses less energy and is more reliable...

2 |3000