question

yaapeet30 avatar image
yaapeet30 asked

Bluetooth not connecting after Firmware / App update.

Hi,

I hope you may help me with an issue/s that I am having with a Smart Solar 75/15 with in-built blue tooth. I purchased this a little over three years ago for a camping setup and it has had limited use due to COVID (no more than 6-8 uses). Up to this point I have had nothing but praise for this unit as it hasn’t missed a beat, so much so a couple of friends have bought this controller on my recommendations. This week I went camping and as I connected to the VictronConnect App, I was presented with a message to update the firmware. I did this and it installed as expected.

From there I was presented with numerous Error 21 messages. This is an error with current and I was asked to disconnect all leads and reconnect. This did not solve this issue. I then proceeded to update the app. Since then, I have been unable to connect via Bluetooth. Mostly it gets to 20%, sometimes 60%, sometimes to 80% and very occasionally to the point of putting in the passcode. Each time it doesn’t connect and requests that I remove the Bluetooth connection from the phone which I have already done.

I have followed the trouble shooting guide which has included, reinstalling app, turning off phone, resetting the PIN (via PUK which doesn’t work as it won’t get through the connect phase before indicating to remove the pairing even though it already has been removed).

I have also tried some other potential solutions as found online which includes ensuring no other Bluetooth devices are in proximity, connect the battery to the controller first and then try and connect before connecting the solar etc…

The issue continues and I am out of ideas. Other information of note is in-regards to the lights on the controller. The blue light flashes about every 3-4 seconds. After a period of time both the blue and yellow lights flash in unison quite quickly which indicates and “Internal Error”.

Is there any solutions that I have missed.

Thanks in anticipation. Cheers Rod

Bluetooth
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Did you try to use another phone/tablet?

Create a service report and attach it to you question.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VictronConnect_Manual/en/troubleshooting.html#UUID-98bc9211-902b-01a0-96b9-1f314c4d63c5

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi,

Unfortunately, based on the error 21 and the unstable bluetooth we cannot draw any other conclusion than that the unit is defective. Please contact the original dealer to have the MPPT replaced. When the dealer is unknown, you can use the following form to get in contact with the dealer: https://professional.victronenergy.com/support/

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

yaapeet30 avatar image
yaapeet30 answered ·

Thank you so much @Matthias Lange - DE for your reply. I tried a different phone and was presented with the same result unfortunately.

Please find attached a log report I generated early today. I tried to open it but was presented with a mix of characters that made no sense what so ever.

Thanking you once again.

Cheers Rod

VictronConnect_report.log

6 comments
2 |3000

Hi @yaapeet30

Can you please make another service log, but this time after trying to connect to the smartsolar?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
yaapeet30 avatar image yaapeet30 Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

Thank you for replying @Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) .

I have attached a new log report. During this period, I tried to connect twice. The first attempt I got to 80%, where I began to put in the passcode, while the follow up attempt failed earlier.

I thank your sincerely.

Cheers RodVictronConnect_report2.log

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ yaapeet30 commented ·

Hi @yaapeet30

What I see is that the Bluetooth connection indeed seems really unstable and the phone is unable to keep a connection long enough to properly bond and read values/settings.

You already tried to connect in VictronConnect with the PV disconnected?

Did you also already try to power cycle the MPPT by disconnecting both battery and PV for a minute and then only reconnect the battery?

When this then fails at 80%, please remove the bonding again in the Android Bluetooth menu and try to reset the PIN code in VictronConnect (using the PUK code). Afterwards, try to connect again in VictronConnect with the default pincode of 000000.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
yaapeet30 avatar image yaapeet30 Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
Hi @Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ,

I thank you sincerely for your help again. While I thought I had completed the cycling as you suggested, I thought I would do it again today. Unfortunately I had no luck. The issue when I go to remove the pairing in the bluetooth settings to complete a PIN reset and when asked to do when the connection is lost, is that the controller isn't listed. This has been the case from when I removed it when I was initially presented with the issue. Because I can't get past the pin, the pairing doesn't take place and hence is not in the bluetooth settings.

I thought I would try an iphone as opposed to the two android phones I have tried but once again the issue prevailed.

It looks like I am out of options. Thank you once again for walking me through some problem solving steps.

Have a great day. Cheers Rod

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ yaapeet30 commented ·

Hi @yaapeet30

When the product is not listed in the bluetooth menu, that means that the phone is indeed not paired.

It is now not completely clear to me whether you were able to reset the PIN code or not or that you did not continue with the reset because it was not listed in the Bluetooth menu.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
Hello @Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ,

I tried numerous times to rest the PIN using the PUK code etc... but it wouldn't connect. The app took me to a message to unpair the device from bluetooth settings which I couldn't do as it wasn't listed as previously mentioned. I coukdn't break this cycle.

To provide other information, the three lights would light up indicating bluetooth communication was taking place. When not trying to communicate, the blue and yellow light would flashing indicating an internal error.

I hope this all makes sense.

Cheers Rod

0 Likes 0 ·