question

tolrtd avatar image
tolrtd asked

VE.Direct to USB Interface: USB Serial Number meaning

Hello-

On a VE.Direct USB Interface, there is a SN (LLYYWWSSSSS) printed on the label on the device, but there is also a serial number reported in the USB "Serial Number" descriptor string which does not seem to match up, with format (VE5Axxxx).

My question is if there is some mapping of SSSSS to xxxx to determine the label serial number based on the USB serial number (or vice versa)?

Thank you!

VE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I would say these numbers are intended to be synchronised. I have seen it done, but it's unusual.
If a manufacturer chooses, then with large orders, they can request the vendor (FTDI) to flash the chips with certain information before they are even delivered to the PCB assembly plant. However, the final product serial number in which that particular FTDI chip will be used would not be known to anyone at that stage. Otherwise, the additional workflow, tracking and cost of flashing the final product serial number is probably considered to be unworthy.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi,

I can confirm that there is no mapping between the HQ serial number and the VE USB serial number. Both are separately randomly generated.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

Related Resources