question

tom saffell avatar image
tom saffell asked

Charge one Lifepo4 battery (at 75% soc) from another lifepo4 battery (at 50% soc)

Hi,

I'd like to be able to charge one lifepo4 battery (that may be at a 75% SoC) from a second lifepo4 battery (that may be at 50% SoC). So the battery with the lower voltage will be providing energy to the other battery.

I believe the Orion Tr Smart may be able to do this, but only if I disable Engine Shutdown Detection - is that correct? Any other non-default settings needed?

Could the Orion Tr (the non "Smart" version) also do this? If so, does it need non-default settings / programming to do so?

Is there a different Victron product that I should be looking at?

thanks

orion-tr smartOrion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Yes, the tr smart is good for this.

You may need to tweak the lock out voltage as well as the charging specs for the second battery. Check the maker information.

Be careful not to kill the first battery by over discharge. Hopefully it has a bms built in.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.