question

mahonrig avatar image
mahonrig asked

Multiplus Won't Turn on after using Remote VEConfigure

Hello all, I attempted to use VRM remote configure to add the Self-consumption Hub-1 assistant to my Multiplus | 12v | 2000 | 80. It is connected to a Cerbo GX running latest firmware and connected to VRM.

The hub assistant was set to prevent feeding energy to grid. I used the standard assistant default settings.

After saving and uploading the file it went through several steps, including writing the settings. At the end I received an Error 1300. This seems to be a general error message.

Now, the Multiplus will only flash the lights briefly, click, and then turn back off when the switch is turned to either charger only or invert mode. I have tried disconnecting power, and also the VE.Bus connection to the Cerbo with the same result.

What would be my next steps for troubleshooting or attempting to restore this Multiplus?

Thank you.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVEConfigure 3
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mahonrig avatar image
mahonrig answered ·

Turns out I had selected an option while setting up the assistant that expected a VE.Bus BMS to be present, which the lack of caused the multiplus to be disabled. Luckily I had one available from another project, and plugging it in to the multiplus allowed me to go back and reconfigure.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Hi @mahonrig

First question, why Hub assistant and not ESS? ESS can also be set to not feed back to the grid. Also the Multi can be reset, an easy way is to just do a firmware update using VE.Flash using the MK3 cable directly connected to the Multi. Try and let us know.

2 comments
2 |3000

mahonrig avatar image mahonrig commented ·

Thank you for the quick response @murraynated . I'll be using this setup for a boat that is mostly plugged into shore power but also has a significant amount of solar power to prioritize. I thought I had read that ESS was for grid-tied systems only, and had missed the settings about not feeding back to grid. I'll have to read through the ESS manual again.

I will try doing a firmware update and report back, need to track down the mk3 cable we have somewhere.

0 Likes 0 ·
johan-anderholm avatar image johan-anderholm mahonrig commented ·

I think you are right ESS can't be used. The ESS manual has this to say:

Q2: Can I use ESS in a vehicle or a boat?

A: No you cannot. After unplugging the shore cord it can take up to a few seconds for the system to detect the loss of mains and open the back-feed relay. During those seconds, the shore power plug will be `live`: there is 230 Volts AC on the terminals. The exact number of seconds differs per country and depends on the local requirements.

The same applies to other solution where the wiring is not protected against accidental removing, for example a simple cable with end-user removable plug, such as a portable power supply.

If you find a way to configure ESS and ensure there being no voltage on the power plug please tell because in testing I've found that it does pretty much exactly what I want. I.e. it can keep the batteries charged and use as much power from the sun as possible to power loads.

0 Likes 0 ·