question

per-erik avatar image
per-erik asked

BMV 700H as current and voltage transducer for PV

We are trying to use a BMV 700H as current and voltage transducer for a PV system directly powering air conditioners, i.e. in a system without batteries. Someone told me that would work together with a CCGX for remote monitoring of that system, which sounded feasible. But for some reason, the BMV does not power up and do not provide any signals. Is there a fundamental difference between connecting them to a battery system and a direct PV system respectively?

The PV array is a series connected array with 8 pcs 275W panels connected in series, delivering a voltage in the range of 240-275VDC and a maximum current in this application of approximately 4-5ADC.

BMV Battery Monitordc system
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

presuming that the air con inverters are always connected. so maybe try putting a rectifier bank coming off the incoming PV maybe there is a large AC feeding back from the Air con inverter units.

Total guess here

Have you tried with completely O/C panels nothing else but the BMV connected and does it work

and are you sure its a BMV700H unit

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

per-erik avatar image per-erik commented ·

Thx Paul. Maybe you've hit a point there. The is actually some back-feed from the air conditioner (but only from one out of three I think). The aircons are hybrids that can be fed both with DC directly from the PV panels and AC from grid - in this case a generator grid. And I did note the back-feed on the one that is connected also ro generator power. However, the two other aircons are only connected to PV so it shouldn't be the case there, I think.

With O/C panels - do you mean not connecting the aircon? (sorry that I'm very much of an expert....)

Finally, yes I'm sure they are 700H - although I'm remotely guiding our electrician in Haiti now and can't double check myself.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B per-erik commented ·

yes with NOTHING ELSE BUT the BMV connected to the panels. (for test only)

If it works then you have a issue with feedback, just put a rectifier across the PV leads and then conect the + and - to the BMV yes you may loose 1 volt of accuracy due top some Volt drop across the Rectifier diodes but for what you are doing I think thats a NON issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
per-erik avatar image per-erik Paul B commented ·

Great - will instruct to test that on Monday

0 Likes 0 ·
per-erik avatar image per-erik Paul B commented ·

Turned out to be very simple. They checked the fuses today…. Sorry that I posted the question before checking better.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic