question

mva avatar image
mva asked

VE direct "value"

I have a Victron SmartSolar charge controller 100/20 that I installed in my trailer. I am planning to add a Victron SmartShunt to replace a less capable battery monitor currently installed. I am confused by the value/need of the VE direct. Per the online literature, the VE direct appears to transmit the battery temperature and battery voltage from the SmartShunt to the solar charge controller. I am not monitoring the battery temperature (I am using LiFePO4) and the solar charge controller already measures the battery voltage.

Questions:

Am I missing something?

Do people use the VE direct function in this configuration?

VE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Do not directly connect (with a VE.Direct cable) the SmarShunt to the SmartSolar charger.

VE.Direct can be used to connect each (SmartSolar and SmartShunt) to a GX device (such as Cerbo GX), for enhanced functionality of the entire system.

If you do not have a GX device, you can still get more functionality by using VE.Smart Network (over Bluetooth).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources