question

PeterM avatar image
PeterM asked

IMT Irradiance Sensor dropouts randomly when grid lost

Have the IMT Irradiance sensor connected ( Via RS485 - USB ) to Multi ( 433 ) / Venus ( v2.66 ) setup and all works beautifully when all running ESS. When grid is lost the Radiation sensor looses connection with Venus , then reconnects for 1-5 mins and then loose connection again - this then repeats continuously. Further if grid is present and I disconnect the RS485 link to my Et112 EM ( connected to PV inverter ) is also disconnects / reconnected all the time ! It still does this if I "remove the connected device " once I disconnect the ET112. Weird behavior - has anyone else seen this behavior before ?

Venus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Peter, the problem could be ground loops and “disturbance”. I recommend try use the isolated USB-RS485 interface. There is a reference to it in the manual. Helmsjlund, is the brand if I remember correctly.

Matthijs

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

I have used an IMT Irradiance sensor in an offgrid installation, with a regular Victron RS485 to USB cable + long data extension cable and never experienced any drop out issues.

Can you describe your exact wiring arrangement? (Particularly if you use a data extension cable)

Have you read and followed the recommendations in the 'Installation notes' section of the manual? https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/installation.html#UUID-d4b7dfe9-4ee0-53bc-8959-c567ed63cebb

FYI the actual IMT Irradiance sensor already has galvanic isolation between the power supply and RS485 modbus circuits.

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Ah thats a good reminder: I had forgotten about the IMT already featuring isolation.

still the long cable going there might work as antenna. And having isolation close to the gx device can fix that. If that is the problem.

0 Likes 0 ·
PeterM avatar image
PeterM answered ·

Its a 10m long extension cable , CAT7 SSTP. Shield is bonded to main house earth only. I am running software on Venus that reads an SMA EM ( connected at connection point ) - Emulates the EM24 meter - so perhaps when grid is disconnected the Venus does not expect to "see" the EM24 however the emulation software is obviously still running on the Venus and provides EM24 like data , the data is obviously all zero . Further I occasionally - I have also had spurious Grid lost notifications even though the grid has been disconnected all the time . There is also a grid restore notification just prior .

2 |3000

PeterM avatar image
PeterM answered ·

Having given me a suggestion that it might be EMC related - i disconnected the screen from house earth and problem is solved. Also works if screen is connected to one of the DC power supply for the IMT sensor. This is not ideal as any induced voltages from near lightning strikes are not protected. Perhaps bond screen to earth at both ends or shorten the unscreened 3m fly leads from the RS485-USB convertor ( as suggested in the notes )

2 |3000