question

jeffryk avatar image
jeffryk asked

Equalization Charge parameters way too low

I recently installed a 12v/3000 Multiplus. I love the features and I am able to remotely monitor and control from the Cerbo GX I installed. Testing the equalization function today and subsequent searching here I see by pressing the equalization charge from the GX Touch that the current into the battery is limited in equalization to 20% of the max (120 ^ .20 - 24 amps DC. I have a 1000 amp hour battery bank of tubular traction batteries. 24 amps will never push the voltage up high enough to reach equalization voltage. Am I missing anything here with the equalization charge functionality of the unit?

My thought on a workaround is to simply change the charging parameters when I want to do an equalization charge. Setting the absorption voltage at 16v and the absorption time at a fixed 4 hours.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or input.

equalisation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@jeffryk

There is a whole process to equalisation on tubular batteries. There is a neat simple article here. That discusses a few more points like making sure you have fully charge, rested and checked SG of all cells.

It takes alot of time and you dont want to boil the batteries. You also want to avoid discharge cycles as well so it is best to not even have the system in use during the equalisation cycle. And basically bigger bank means a longer time invested in the equalisation charge.

Possibly also would need to rotate cells in the bank etc as well after. And make sure that no cells dry out during.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic