question

Josep morancho avatar image
Josep morancho asked

Monitoring Lynx distributor without lynx bms

Is it possible to monitor lynx distributor (fuses status,etc) without lynx BMS but with a Lynx Shunt connected?

i will have lithium batteries with integrated bms and i will not need a Lynx BMS but i will iconnect the battery bank (pylontech batteries bank) to the Lynx Shunt directly. I see that Lynx Shunt connect with GX device via Ve.can but i doubt if lynx shunt send lynx distributor status to gx device too.

Thanks

lynx shunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
alex-bush avatar image
alex-bush answered ·

Im in the same boat, but sadly, from my research, it looks like its not possible.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

The lynx shunt has the rj12 sockets, that connect to the distributor and then the rj45 that connect to ve.can, I presume it passes the status to the GX device like this.

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
There are videos on youtube showing how to power the distributor to enable fuse blown leds.

Also info on this forum for the same.

0 Likes 0 ·
cjbnomad8654 avatar image
cjbnomad8654 answered ·

It sounds like the question is similar to the question I have, and it is not concerning powering the indicator lights on the distributor, but monitoring the fuse status in the distributor from Victron Connect via the Cerbo GX. All of the lights on my distributor function and give the status of the fuse, but when only using the Lynx Shunt the status of each fuse in Victron Connect is - -. Is there a workaround for monitoring?

2 |3000

w8dev avatar image
w8dev answered ·

I’m wondering the same thing. When you have the Lynx shunt and distributor, and you look at the shunt in the Victron Connect app, there’s a section for Lynx Distributor but all the entries are blank. Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me why the Lynx shunt can’t read and display the same data.

2 |3000

benc-ipind avatar image
benc-ipind answered ·

I have just completed my first Lynx installation with a Power In, Shunt and Distributor.

It is wired exactly as per the install digram in the manual with the RJ12 cable connected to the Distributor and the Shunt, yet I have the same issue of have reported of seeing no detail of the Distirbutor or it's fuses.

Hopefully @Matthias Lange - DE or someone else from Victron can assist? @mvader (Victron Energy) ?

Also, where is the serial number located on the Distributor?

I am wondering if this is a firmware issue where I have received NOS with a unit that has a serial number below HQ18x as per the Distrbutor change log.

1706503503431.png

1706503503431.png (59.0 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
We had a discussion about that a few months ago.

Showing the fuse state in VictronConnect or the GX device is NOT supported by the Lynx Shunt only the Lynx BMS can do that.

0 Likes 0 ·
benc-ipind avatar image benc-ipind Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

That's pretty disappointing and frustrating.

The installation manual and marketing all would have you believe it is a feature.

Really can't see why the firmware on the Lynx Shunt can't be updated to facilitate the functionality.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ benc-ipind commented ·
Where in the manual/datasheet it says that the fuse state of the distributors is monitored by the Lynx Shunt?

The Lynx Shunt manual only says that it's main fuse is monitored.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Lynx Shunt VE Can online manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic