question

sirdreadly avatar image
sirdreadly asked

DC-DC charger input fuse - non-replaceable?!!

Victron specs on DC-DC chargers, states “input fuse non-replaceable”. What’s with THAT! Obviously, I am missing something. What do we do if the fuse blows?

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The reasoning is that the fuse should not blow. If it does, the whole unit needs to be checked in case other components were damaged.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

What do we do if the fuse blows?

The internal fuse provides a last line defense should an internal fault occurs within the DC2DC charger. You want this fuse to fail should a catastrophic fault should occur. Much better this, rather than the DC2DC catch fire. This fuse is not user replaceable for the simple reason that if it has blown, the DC2DC charger has been destroyed.

Besides, you should already have an appropriate fuse in place at the source battery, should a cable fault occur.

2 |3000

glowplug avatar image
glowplug answered ·

Which DC-DC converter was this, and did it say what the internal fuse rating is? I have not seen any Victron documentation that mentions this.

I'm installing several lVictron DC-DC converters and trying to decide what value fuse to install on the input (independent of the wiring, which already has an appropriate fuse) to protect the DC-DC converter, and by extension any internal fuse, if present.

Update: I've found the documentation that states this - https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Orion-Tr-isolated-DC-DC-converters-EN-FR-NL-ES-IT-DE.pdf

But it doesn't say what the internal fuse rating is.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic