question

mikisound avatar image
mikisound asked

Appropriate charger for my battery Blue Smart PI65 10 or 15 Amp

I am looking for a suitable charger for my 100Ah flooded lead-acid battery. I have doubts between the following Victron Blue Smart IP65 12/10 and 12/15 models, but I'm not sure which one would be suitable? According to the battery manufacturer, the recommended charging current for my battery is 1/10 of the capacity, i.e. 10 A. I would like to have some space for future upgrade to a higher capacity. Can I also use the 15A charger for the 100Ah battery without damaging the battery?

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alwin Schulze avatar image
Alwin Schulze answered ·

Lead Batteries normally should be fully charged within max. 10h. So calculated 100Ah battery/10h = 10A would be enough. But if there are some loads while charging, you have to add these loads to your calculation. The charger should not be stronger than 30% von your battery --> <30A.

We recommende to select a charger with 15 to 20% of the battery.

--> 15A charger is working with your system. A 25A charger would work too.

Addtionally all SmartChargers from Victron can be switched to Night mode --> 50% charger power.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.