question

cappadonaleonardo avatar image
cappadonaleonardo asked

MPPT 150/70 unit has stopped charging batteries past 71%.

Hi guys, so I've got an issue with my easy solar 24v/3000va/70amp MPPT 150/70. The battery's wont charge fully so I'm running out of power every night. it is like the unit thinks the battery's are full as it will only let the amount of PV in as is being used at the time never getting over 71% of charge even in full sun. So if I put it under load it jumps right up to accommodate. The system was working fine a month ago but now won't charge? I'm using GS YUASA PWL 12V 100AH lead-acid battery's.

Would really appreciate any help that could be offered.

Kind regards

Leonardo

error
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
How much batteries do you have?

How much PV power is installed?

What is measuring the SOC?

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

It may be that you need to resynchronise the state of charge on the colour controller.

Check to see what the battery voltage is in the morning after running overnight. This will give you a very rough idea of how discharged the batteries are compared to a month ago. You can also watch the MPPT go thorugh its stages of bulk, absorption and float. Last thing to look at would be the kWH generated by the MPPT during the day to see if this is consistent with previous readings.

To resync the state of charge wait until the end of the day when the batteries should be fully charged and reset the controller to 100%.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
This should be automatic.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

To add to Matthias' questions. What settings for charging/battery are in the MPPT and multiplus in the Easysolar?

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @cappadonaleonardo@gmail.com

If your batteries can't accept much charge then they're effectively close to full. Ignore the "71%" for now.

You don't mention a shunt, just the EasySolar, so presumably using the SOC from the onboard Multiplus. This is pretty coarse and might need adjustments to enable it to come close to reality.

It must see it's own Absorb V before it will recognize and reset the 'SOC when bulk finished' (default 85% from memory). This should happen naturally, but sometimes it won't if the V readings of the mppt and Multi differ. They can, and Temp Compensation can make that worse, particularly if the mppt isn't set up to use an external temp sensor.

In the CCGX, invoke DVCC to share a common V and T. The Easy should have come with a Temp sensor for the Multi, so the mppt can now use that.

Make sure both have the same charge settings, including temp comp factor. Except for one.. set Absorb V slightly lower in the Multi, 0.1V or even less should ensure then that it recognizes Abs. You'll need to wait or prompt the mppt for an Abs cycle for it to happen.

You really need to tune the SOC parameters to give best results, and one of the shunt devices will do better with accuracy. Also try to recognize yourself when the batts are full from V and Amps.

2 |3000

renz avatar image
renz answered ·

Leonardo, this is what I said about the requirements for either a smartshunt or a BMV, your readings are not precise if it's only the easysolar doing the job.

You will find the absorption voltage and others things that you have to do, you can do them thanks to Victron connect app via bluetooth, if you don't know how, use the Victron how to use database, there is all the information you need in there.

Keep us posted,

Renz

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Easysolar, so also program the multi it a mk3 to USB interface

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic