question

theo-za avatar image
theo-za asked

Charging battery from an alternate non-connected phase to the Victron Multiplus II

Hi

My setup is as follows

3 phase (L1, L2 and L3) electrical supply

Victron Multiplus II 5KVA connected to L1

MPPT 250/100

4 x Pylon Tech 3500Kwh Batteries

18 Panels 355 Watts

At times the connected phase on L1 fails resulting in the battery running flat on cloudy days.

Is it possible to use either L2 or L3 as an alternate source for charging the batteries should L1 fail ?

My initial thinking is an additional regulator and a failover relay to switch the charging circuit on the victron from L1 to either L2 or L3... but open to more informed suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Theo

battery charging
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Theo-za

Do you have switched as a group on? If you do and one phase goes out all disconnect.

If you have it off you can have one phase in invert and the others still using grid. The side effect is that ess cannot be used however.

Your battery pack is very undersized for the three phase system btw.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

As I understand your system you have a single multiplus on one phase only. Do you use / have loads on the other 2 phases? (i.e. any 3 phase loads?). If all your loads are single phase, the you could use a manual transfer switch to switch between L1/L2/L3... A single missing phase would be unusual, and L2 & L3 should go down at the same time as L1....

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.