question

bashers avatar image
bashers asked

Polling Venus OS via VE.direct port

I've successfully connected my third party battery to my Venus OS running on Pi and, as mentioned elsewhere cant get the serial port running on my pi3.

What I've just realised is that i've not asked the million dollar question of whether I can actually poll the Venus OS for battery info from the lithium battery and if this whole journey is worth it
The BMS is connected via can bus and is showing up correctly in VRM. I just need this presented over ve.direct so my solar assistant can aggregate the battery status with the inverter

Venus OSRaspberry PiVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

The answer is no or basically no. You can't really get any data via the VE.Direct port from the Venus. If you want data from the GX, it is best to get it via Modbus TCP, coming from the GX ethernet connection. This has all the battery data available.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bashers avatar image
bashers answered ·

thanks for the clarification.
Its been fun, but its a shame the efforts not been worth it

Anyone need a brand new pi 2 and a pi3??

2 |3000

Related Resources

VE.Direct protocol FAQ

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic