question

mike-schoonen avatar image
mike-schoonen asked

Multiplus or Multigrid for off-grid

Hello, I had a question about Multiplus and Multigrid. I am building a small off-grid system with 4 solar panels off 300 watts each that will charge battery's using an MPPT charge controller. I also want a backup generator to charge the battery's if they get under a certain level, and I will be using an inverter to make 230VAC 50Hz from the battery bank. At least I am also using a wind turbine that will give me a peak of 600 watt.

So a short list of items.

- 6x Solar panel 300 watt

- Battery bank

- Multiplus or Multigrid?

- Inverter

- Backup generator

What will be the right choice? Multiplus or multigrid.

And is this a realistic setup? Or is there a more efficient way?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargeroffgridsolarmultigrid
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

Hello Mike.

They are much the same apart from the Multigrid having double the feed-in relays which is a requirement in some countries or regions. Functionally they are otherwise the same. That was JB's answer to my question.

Just ensure the unit is firmware 26xxyyy or higher as prior models were not ESS compatible.

You may consider their replacement, the Multiplus II which is more efficient, but is only available as 48V. Both other models are being phased out.

Your solution will much depend on your requirement. How much you need when, maximum surge, budget etc. Typically I'd personally say at the price of fuel these days, generators should only really be used as a last resort.

Hope this helps a bit. Also take time to watch videos online which were great at understanding the broader topic.

Regards

Etienne

1 Like 1 ·
3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

As Etienne Say you are on the write track.

not much more we can sugest as we dont know enough in regards to what sort of loads you are running and how often.

I would head off to a Victron Seller and they shoould be ablew to help you size the system correctly

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

geomz avatar image
geomz answered ·

The other answers are spot-on, but I'll add this in case you're not thinking of it. I'm not sure what voltage you were considering for your battery system, but I would strongly encourage 24V or even 48v, if that's an option. 12V is (sort of) convenient for car/RV/boat applications because of the preexisting systems, but for a dedicated system you're better served stepping up the voltage.

It requires less gnarly wiring, and it can carry more power over that wiring. It's less work/heat/load on the inverter and is a more efficient delivery conduit for your solar setup.

If you're not intent on being grid-tied, then a regular multi (or II) would be sufficient. But depending on your power needs, you may consider a Quattro, as that has dual inputs-giving you more control on power-source (although it sounds a genset is your only AC input). But a Quattro is built from the getgo to handle more power. From my experience, running a multi at or near its capacity on a regular basis will shorten its life. Of course, with Victron's 5 year warranty that may not matter. But downtime is downtime :)

Just running a tea kettle and a microwave is +3000W; which is 600W more than a multi 3000 "can/should" deliver at ~25C, and drops to even less than that, the hotter it gets.

HTH, and good luck,

GM

2 |3000

nick-wiggill avatar image
nick-wiggill answered ·

This comparison should help you...

The MultiGrid is probably the better option for off-grid but fixed site, such as a house or shed, because it has 2-6x the parasitic draw compared with a MultiPlus. I'm building a motorhome, so I need very low parasitic draw, having only 1000-2000W of panels. If you have many more panels and in a fixed location, and the MultiGrid is cheaper, then buy that. Else always go MultiPlus.

2 |3000