question

paulcooper avatar image
paulcooper asked

Expected traffic to the mqtt{1 to 128}.victronenergy.com server farm?

I am running Venus-large and have a fairly extensive Node-Red flow consisting of about 100 nodes. My router is reporting a permanent TCP/IP session with one of the mqtt{1 to 128}.victronenergy.com servers with constant traffic of just over 10 kbit/s upload and just under 1 kbit/s download. This seems high to me but maybe it's because of my 100-node flow. Is this level of traffic to be expected?

Venus OSNode-REDMQTT
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·
Are your nodes access the local MQTT? Are you sending keep alive messages? If so you will see a lot of MQTT traffic as it is sending everything to VRM, it is better to use the Victron Dbus nodes.
0 Likes 0 ·
paulcooper avatar image paulcooper shaneyake commented ·

Thanks @shaneyake . I am using an external MQTT broker – Mosquitto on a Raspberry Pi. My nodes are not making use of the local broker, unless the Victron Dbus nodes are using it.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
paulcooper avatar image
paulcooper answered ·

SOLVED

It turns out that the constant 10 kbps traffic occurs when there is a browser window open to vrm.victronenergy.com. With this window closed the constant traffic stops.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.