question

ditmarco avatar image
ditmarco asked

Cerbo GX - broken

Hello I have connected a brand new Cerbo GX to the my battery (lifepo4) 302ah at 62v.

I managed to connect and turn on the cerbo GX 2 or 3 times, no problem.

In one last time that I have to disconnect and connect to the battery, the cerbo made a sound like a internal spark and "died"..

The fuse in the power cable is ok didn't trigger.

Why as this happen? To much power, the volts was in the range for the Cerbo, 8vdc to 70vdc.

Many thanks

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

10 Answers
michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hi, according to the manual, it should be no problem, as it is within the VDC range. I'll suggest you check the voltage arriving to the Cerbo GX, in order to be sure of it.

Then, contact your dealer regarding the issue.

2.2. Power The device is powered by using the Power in V+ connector. It accepts 8 to 70 V DC. The device will not power itself from any of the other connections (eg network). The supplied DC power cable includes an inline 3.15 A slow blow fuse. If the DC voltage exceeds 60V, the Cerbo GX is classified as a “built-in product”. Installation should be in such a way the user cannot touch the terminals. When the Cerbo GX is used in an installation with a VE.Bus BMS, connect the Power in V+ on the Cerbo GX to the terminal labelled 'Load disconnect' on the VE.Bus BMS. Connect both negative leads to the negative stub of a common Battery.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ditmarco avatar image
ditmarco answered ·

Thanks michelg

I've already contacted the seller.

They will send it to the manufacturer to find out what happened.

But I don't think I'm wrong because it was inside was in the range (volts) for the Cerbo.

I think the Cerbo is sensitive to many amps when it turns on... and the (internal) condenser may not have held.

2 |3000

klarglas avatar image
klarglas answered ·

@ditmarco@gmail.com did you get a new Cerbo? Today my Cerbo also stopped working and I contacted the seller.

I hope it can be fixed fast.

2 |3000

tim-caesens avatar image
tim-caesens answered ·

I had the same with a brand new cerbo gx some weeks ago, after disconnecting the cerbo from its powersuply (48V in my case), the cerbo won't boot up anymore. I got a new one from my seller (Thx Jency btw for the service).

2 |3000

josefspa111 avatar image
josefspa111 answered ·

Same problem, remove 18s Lifepo4 battery cable, plug again and the cerbo is broken, no led turns on

2 |3000

jas avatar image
jas answered ·

Same problem, I've broken 2 now, the third one I got is connected to a 12v power supply and have had no problems until now.

Has anyone heard from Victon what the problem can be, because there must be something wrong with the Cerbo GX when it can't stand being connected directly to a 48 to 55v battery.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

I have several on 48v systems and have not had an issue to date. One on a system that runs up to 62v.

1 Like 1 ·
brucesterj avatar image
brucesterj answered ·

This is probably the culprit. This fuse IS blown. I replaced it and it turned back on. So while I was waiting.. I peeked inside to see if anything was burnt.

20210821_134040.jpg

20210806_214654.jpg

20210821_142747.jpg

20210821_142412.jpg

20210821_142412.jpg

20210821_134640.jpg

2 |3000

maxwhitby avatar image
maxwhitby answered ·

I have the same problem this morning. Cerbo has been working fine for a month. 48V system running at ~ 53V. No LEDs. Tried the reset button. External fuse is not blown. I can hear current is flowing when I plug the DC connector in (brief spark sound). Have contacted the dealer from whom I bought the unit. Can anyone suggest something else to try?

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
There is unfortunately a known issue with cerbo's on 48V. Return it and it will be replaced. The replacement will come with a cap to install across the power connector.
0 Likes 0 ·
gr0mit avatar image
gr0mit answered ·

Sadly I have the same issue. It appears to be a design fault on the latest Cerbo GX when used with 48v supply. Awaiting a replacement for mine.

Quite annoying, and I think Victron really need to make this more widely known as there is an easy fix :

1) Use 12 or 24 supply.

2) Put a capacitor in parallel with the Cerbo supply leads.

BR

Tim Robinson

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

All suppliers and distributors were notified some time ago, in a detailed doc.

There are many official and unofficial channels through which product can be purchased, so the experience may vary.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevels55 avatar image
kevels55 answered ·

Hello All

I think Victron want to be slightly more upfront with this major fault with Cerbo gx in 48v systems, they should be more proactive in I advertising the fact, that the Cerbo GX is likely to fail in these 48v systems, due to a design fault, and sending you a 100 if, 100 v Elco , ECA2AHG101 capacitor, along with a new Cerbo GX doesn’t quite cut it in my book…see link below.

https://www.bimblesolar.com/docs/2022-08%20Cerbo%20GX%20power%20supply%20issue%20in%2048V%20systems%20-%20v5.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2gVXKx4Auqo2mqa_PLfWG2JAAppXjKn1zwOfK7aNPkYDjI5mF68fhWQ9c

2 |3000