question

pmarine avatar image
pmarine asked

Auto Transformer

I have a question regarding the capabilities of the 100A Auto Transformer that Victron make.

I want to make sure my understanding of this unit is correct and this is hopefully a basic question for somebody. I notice that it states that the neutral continuous current capability is 28A AC and from the documentation it implies this is effectively the limit of the imbalance the system can absorb. My two hypothetical questions are:

1. If this transformer was being fed by a 12KVA 240V supply with the output exclusively feeding 120V loads balanced across L1 to N and L2 to N. With the maximum imbalance limitation of 28A would the maximum theoretical UNBALANCED load it could provide on it's outputs be 64A on one leg and 36A on the other?

2. If this same transformer was feeding a system exclusively made up of 120V loads on L1 to N and L2 to N i.e no 240V loads. If absolutely NO loads were present on L2, would the theoretical maximum current on L1 of the transformer be limited by the neutral imbalance limitation of 28A. So this would limit any current to 28A (3.36KVA) on any leg if the opposing leg was 0A?

Appreciate any guidance on this please. Thanks

Autotransformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

1. Yes, 64-36 = 28A, you probably don't want to be that close to the limit tho.

2. Yes, 28A imbalance so if L2 is 0A then yes 28A max. As this is a current limit output would vary with voltage, you could get more or less than 3.36KVA

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pmarine avatar image pmarine commented ·

Thank you for your help.

0 Likes 0 ·