question

the-reverend avatar image
the-reverend asked

Battery draining when connected to shore power

I have a Blue Smart IP22 12/30 charger connected directly to a 180Ah leisure battery (lead-acid). Went camping with it for the first time last night and noticed that when connected to shore power and using devices connected to the battery that the battery was draining and not being topped up by the charger. Using a Renogy 500 meter showed that the battery had lost exactly the amount of power consumed by the devices, but the charger showed the charging status as “float”. Charging status was set to “normal”. It did fully charge the battery overnight though so there is power going to the battery.

Any thoughts?

battery chargingcharger
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

muddy1 avatar image muddy1 commented ·
What was the battery voltage and set float voltage ?
0 Likes 0 ·
the-reverend avatar image the-reverend muddy1 commented ·
Battery voltage was showing well above 13V, don't remember the exact figure. Don't know what the set float voltage is?
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Charger kicks in based on battery voltage. Until this drops, charger will stay in float. If your consumption is very low, not continuous, the float current will charge it without the charger going into bulk or absorption. At least that's what I see on mine. So as muddy1 asked, you need to see battery voltage and charger detting.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic