question

ericsommer avatar image
ericsommer asked

Getting real time data from GX without using VRM portal

I am looking to get real time data from the CCGX without using the VRM Portal.
Reason is that the internet here is not reliable and could cause issues.

Setup

* 2 each of 10 x 315W panels with SmartSolar MPPT 250/60
* 2 x Multiplus 3000
* 1 x Fronius 5000
* Color Control GX
* 24KW Li-Ion batteries

Reason i ask - i would like to be able to detect when power available is less than demand and shut off via smart switches the heavier using appliances such as the electric geyser, dishwasher, dryer, washer, compressor, pool pump

ie: Cloud cover suddenly reduces available power from the Fronius and demand would exceed the capacity of the 2xMultiplus 3000 (4200W). Say the Fronius is pushing out 5000W and demand is 6000W - meaning the MPs are supplying 1000W. Cloud cover comes along and reduces the Fronius to 1000W, which would result in the MP having to supply 5000W, which it can do for a few seconds, but would ultimately overload it. In this case, would need to react quickly and shutoff the heavier loads until stable sunshine returns.

is this possible?

thanks

(Edit: I should mention we are completely off-grid)

Venus OSCCGX Color ControlVenus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·
@ericsommer

Yes there is, you can use Grafana.

The other option is log into the local address. venus.local or the ip address on a tablet browser.

You can also program relays to auto switch off loads.

The two multis should be able to handle the load. They can if correctly set up handle 4800W loads. You have followed the one to one rule.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ericsommer avatar image ericsommer commented ·
Hi

At the moment, since i work from home, i have the CCGX web screen up on my pc all the time, which sort of makes me the automation :)

Grafana isn't the answer for me

will have to look into the relays

thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
harold avatar image
harold answered ·

You can also program Assistants to switch off certain load automatically.

2 |3000

mrhappy avatar image
mrhappy answered ·

Another way is to use a Large venusOS image and node-red to program exact criteria for turning relays on/off. At the moment, the primary and K1/K2 relays are not accessible through node-red AFAIK (I may be wrong) so external relays need to be used. I have got it working very well with Raspi 3B+, node-red and an IP relay board that can be controlled through telnet commands which I send out from node-red. You could make your own dashboard with any and all of the info you want in real-time, accessed through LAN locally, and also accessed through VRM portal if you would be away during the day.

This is how part of my dashboard looks :)

node-red-dashboard.png

2 |3000

Related Resources

CCGX Product Manual

CCGX Product page

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic