question

kieron-harrop avatar image
kieron-harrop asked

Battery only charges to 83% using Victron lithium battery and Color GX

Have a Color GX Controller and Victron Lithium battery with BMV 702, Smart Solar MPPT 75/15, Multiplus compact 12/1600/70-16

Van is plugged into mains and battery will only charge to 83%.

Controller says last full charge was 17 days ago but its been plugged in all day and night.

Help much appreciated, is this a setting on the color GX where i can go into the menu and change this.

Unit isnt connected to the internet so cant use the online system.

Thanks,

Kieron

battery chargingBMV Battery MonitorCCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
av1um avatar image
av1um answered ·

Please go into the menu and check the parameters found in the BMV tab, in your case the 702.
What does it tell you there? You should find values in there for max. charging voltage.
If this is not the case, the multi-tab should also display these values.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kieron-harrop answered ·

Battery shows 14.49 V. -0.3A. -4w

Where exactly do i go for max charging voltage

System currently says HUB-1. EQUALIZE

thanks,

1 comment
2 |3000

kieron-harrop avatar image kieron-harrop commented ·
Its flicking between Hub1 off and Hub 1 Equalize
0 Likes 0 ·
av1um avatar image
av1um answered ·

the 14.5V should be OK, no need to go any higher. I'm not entirely familiar with the batteries, but afaik they do have a built-in BMS, right?
the max. charging voltage usually is configured inside the Multiplus, which can only be accessed via a USB-to-MK3 interface.
do you apparently have a Bluetooth-dongle for the 75/15? in there, you could also set the max. bulk voltage by taking your phone / laptop together with the victron connect app.

last: as your system already is charged up to 14,5V - this rather looks to me like a little fault with the current shunt, which (in the end) is responsible for your SOC value.
I wouldnt worry too much about this, the batteries appear to be fully charged.

1 comment
2 |3000

av1um avatar image av1um commented ·

I've just seen, that you could roughly 'configure' max. voltage settings with the small dip-switch underneath the MP. but the value of 14.5V is very ok for your setting and I wouldnt touch it.

0 Likes 0 ·
kieron-harrop answered ·

Thanks av1um be nice to show that they are fully charged, give me more confidence as the van is designed to live off grid as much as possible.

is it worth getting the shunt checked out as there are no more settings in the GX unit to mess with?

thanks again

2 |3000

av1um avatar image
av1um answered ·

where you might wanna have a closer look at is the 'equalize' status. this actually shouldnt appear that very often. as I cannot find any way to configure this in the MP, this might be coming from 75/15 which does indeed have a setting for that. equalizing is happening automatically inside of your battery - which has a built-in BMS. the 75/15 does not need to ever 'fall' into this state for your type of battery. but for configuring this, you'll need the Bluetooth-dongle.

according to the manual:

3.9 Automatic equalization Automatic equalization is default set to ‘OFF’. With the Victron Connect app (see sect 1.9) this setting can be configured with a number between 1 (every day) and 250 (once every 250 days).

-> have an eye on this, and if this state is showing up way too often, get yourself a BT interface.

2 |3000

kieron-harrop answered ·

I now have a Wi-Fi dongle attached to the color gx. Connected to Wi-Fi but not managed to connect the vrm software to the unit yet. Hoping of I do that might show me some.more info on why it's only showing 83% charge

2 |3000

Related Resources

CCGX Product Manual

CCGX Product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic