question

ejm avatar image
ejm asked

Auto transformer

Hello,

Victron Autotransformer, 120/240-100A, ITR000100101

How do you wire this transformer? I read the directions, but it was hard to understand and there is no clear markings for hot and neutral wire. The power coming in is from a Honda EU7000IS generator. 2 hot wires, one natural and a ground wire. I need convert the 2 hot wires to 1 hot wire going to the Victron Quattro

Autotransformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

You've basically answered your own question: 2 hots to 1 hot.

If you have read the data sheet and manual and are still uncertain how to make the connections, I recommend you have an electrician wire things up for you so you know it is safe.

Section 2.3.1 of the manual comes closest to your needs. Just connect the Quatro input to one hot leg and one neutral at the output of the transformer.

There's also a diagram on page 6 for exactly what you want to do.

Manual here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Autotransformer/Victron_Energy_Autotransformer-en.pdf

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejm avatar image
ejm answered ·

The directions that came with it is not clear at all. This link makes it much clearer. I just think it is strange not to use the neutral wire from the generator. it also does not show a ground wire in the picture on page 6, does it not require a ground wire?

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Not using the neutral from the generator allows the current to balance coming out of the generator. If you were to connect the neutral, you'd probably draw most of the load current from one of the legs.

There should NOT be a neutral to safety ground bond in the generator either. As shipped from the factory, the EU7000 is "floating" so you should be good to go.

A safety ground connection from the generator to the transformer and inverter, and the loads IS needed.

The transformer should create THE one safety ground to neutral connection since there is no shore power connection.

2 |3000