I like to share a power meter library supporting following Modbus-RTU-based 3-phase power meters, which are connected by a ModbusTCP-server gateway:
- ABB B23 (test on B23 212-100) and ABB B24 series
- Carlo Gavazzi EM24 series (tests only for Victron related devices EM24DINAV53DISX and EM24DINAV93XISX)
- SDM630-Modbus v2 and v1.
Only ABB and Carlo Gavazzi meters support multi-phase aggregated power metering as expected in Germany!
GX OS version 2.92 uses new libraries, which aren't compatible with previous ones anymore.
Victron embedded ABB meters as default in current GX (even if serial connection is supported right now).
Eastron meters are not really prefessional in terms of version maintenance. In addition they are not suited to cover phase-netting as required for German market.
Therefore I have to balance, if I will apply an additional update on those meters
For any usage a donation to seashepherd.org with an amount of 5 USD/EUR/GBP or equivalent is expected.
- 2022-03-13: Added SDM72D support / replaced Serial# on Eastron libs with Modbus-ID since serial is identical on all SDM630 meters ;-( > that change allows also the usage of several Eastron meters in the same installation
- unzip TWE Meter Library v1.4.zip into directory /opt/victronenergy/dbus-modbus-client.
- Add in file /opt/victronenergy/dbus-modbus-client/dbus-modbus-client.py below the expression "import carlo_gavazzi " for that meter that you want to use the relevant bold marked expression
- for ABB meters the expression: import TWE_ABB_B2x
- for Gavazzi (Victron) meters the expression: import TWE_EM24RTU
- for Eastron meters SDM630v2 the expression: import TWE_Eastron_SDM630v2
- for Eastron meters SDM630v1 the expression: import TWE_Eastron_SDM630v1
- for Eastron meters SDM72D the expression: import TWE_Eastron_SDM72D
- OS versions >=2.80: For updates of this library delete all files with prefix "TWE_" in directory /opt/victronenergy/dbus-modbus-client/__pycache__
- OS versions <2.80: For updates of this library delete all files with file extension ".pyc" and prefix "TWE_" in directory /opt/victronenergy/dbus-modbus-client/
- reboot VenusOS
- Go to "Settings" > "Modbus TCP devices" and perform a "Scan for Devices" or directly add a device via "Devices" > "Add" using relevant IP and ModBus ID and port. Last option is much quicker and also supports non-default unit-IDs.
A few seconds later the meter should appear in your main menu.
- The installation is not resistant for VenusOS updates. After any Venus OS update the adapter installation has to be repeated.
- Only EM24 meters from Victron are supported. Tests on other OEM-meters have shown that they have obviously limited capabilities implemented.
- ABB does obviously not properly support the "current" value on the B23 meter. Only positive values are shown, which are not necessarily compliant with the current power value.
This constraint however has no impact on general functionality to control Victron solution and VRM measurements (except current values in extended graphs.
- ABB meters a famous that Modbus-port A and B are used conversely. Consider that for your cabling.
- For Eastron SDM630v1 devices a connectivity >9600 baud has to be configured on meter and gateway.
Exclusion of liability: Although the module has been tested in depth, I don't take any liability for any potential damage on your installation.
Thanks to Victron for their open platform and especially for the support of Matthijs Vader. Thanks to Michael for his extensive support to check the Victron meter support.