question

alan-craig avatar image
alan-craig asked

solar charging 9 series li-ion

I have a Smartsolar 75/15 and have acquired some new (old stock) 9S 3Ah li-ion batteries by Bosch, so charge voltage about 37.8v, nominal 32.4/33.3v. I don't think manual settings cover these values so what do I need? Do I have to buy a different solar charger? Pv panels are 3 x 100Wp in series for about 56 - 60v out. This is for a small solar boat which previously had lead batteries. I've a feeling that I bought the wrong batteries.

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The 75/15 is only for 12V and 24V so it can't reach the voltages you need.
You have to buy a MPPT 100/20_48V.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alan-craig avatar image
alan-craig answered ·

Thank you Matthias. I understand that the latest 48v solar chargers have a 36v setting. Does this mean that manual settings in that range will cover 9S? I can't work it out from looking at the Victron website.

2 |3000

alan-craig avatar image
alan-craig answered ·

PARTIAL SOLUTION I found and read the online manual for my Smartsolar device. There is a LIFEPO4 option which I selected, then changed the parameters to suit a 7 series li-ion battery, so I will rewire each pack to 7S leaving two cells redundant in each pack as a temporary solution.

2 |3000

Related Resources