question

Daniel Hallmark avatar image
Daniel Hallmark asked

Bluesmart IP67 12/25 hardware version concerns

I ordered an IP67 12/25 through Amazon (US). Both the Victron website and the Amazon product info state this is a 7-stage charger. The box states that I received a 4-stage charger. The manual states this is a 5-stage charger.

A label indicates that I received hardware revision 02. I am concerned that I may not have received the latest hardware.

Can you please advise if this is the latest hardware and if not, what is the latest hardware revision and what are the differences?

I am concerned that the capabilities and features I read about while researching this purchase may not be implemented in the version of the hardware that I received.

Specifically, I am looking to use the advanced configuration features to program the charger with custom settings for a Northstar Red 190FT HT lead agm battery as well as for LiFePO4 batteries and to use it as a power supply for amateur radio operations.

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
abeness avatar image
abeness answered ·

Greetings, Daniel, from a fellow (relatively new vintage 2019) ham. I cannot advise re: hw version details, but I did notice that while the Victron webpage says "7-step charging algorithm", the datasheet and PDF manual say 5-stage, and to keep it interesting the HTML manual has 6-stage, which adds Refresh to Bulk, Absorption, Recondition, Float, Storage. Says it happens automatically or as configured but I don't see config options in the app yet for my rev 01 unit bought in October 2020. Maybe they decided to count its ability to restart a low voltage shut-down LiFePO4 BMS by pushing current to wake up a battery that appears unreceptive, or maybe some marketing genius figured they'd up the bar. I think only Victron can advise on the reality.

My rev 01 came from seller Bay Marine Supply, a Victron distributor. I'm charging a 100AHr LiFePO4 battery in my first emergency power box build and so far it's been great to charge faster at 0.25C, and view charge history. (I also have the WMR Epic PWRGate, which charges at only 10A, but is quite useful for uninterruptible power and solar integration in one tiny box. I'm close to testing the solar MPPT charge function.)

AGM has been around a long time, and the settings are highly configurable via BT with the app in Advanced/Expert mode if an existing preset doesn't match your needs--with one yet-unaddressed bug (that I'm aware of) in the current build that means you cannot set Absorption time to less than 1 hour. Not being an AGM buff I don't know if that will matter. Those Northstar Reds do look nice. I hope you get many miles out of them.

As far as use as a power supply, it's a simple toggle in the app from Charger to Power Supply, and PSU voltage can be set anywhere from 12.8V to 14.7V in hundredth-volt increments. My digital clamp meter puts it spot-on (no load). You want 13.80, you got it. It remembers your settings so when you switch back, you're where you were in the other mode.

They regularly update the app and device firmware. See changelog here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:beta

All in all, a very nice unit in hw rev 01. I'm happy. You'll presumably only have it better with rev 02, and I would recommend that you try it. Maybe better BT: Mine has weaker range than my BMV-712 Smart, but perfectly acceptable for my needs. (And the chip is buried inside a metal case, so I can't really complain.)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic